home made concrete fence post and boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a small retaining wall which wont be holding alot back....only a foot height at most.

it struck me that the slotted concrete fence post and gravel boards would be easiest to use but was looking at prices and thought that i could make my own.

whats anyones thoughts on this?
would it work out cheaper?
I'd probably need around 25boards and dont know how many post lol
(doing a 3teir garden)

Any advice or imput?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't bother, would be my advice, unless you like a hobby, like making a mess and will put up with an inferior-looking result. Several people on here have asked about this, and the few that have tried it I think have had poor results.

Buy an 8' post, cut it down with a grinder and away you go. Several out of one post and it'll look better.

Well, you did ask for input (sorry, I am all out of imput)

have to agree with wabbitpoo, seen similar with people trying to make concrete statues etc, even with moulds, they all come out differnt, even using same mould / mix

i appreciate the imput

the posts maybe i would just buy and like you say cut them down into several
but i was thinking of the gravel boards more than anything and with regards to the look we'll most likely be facing them either with wood or a render.

i was just wondering if i made moulds out of wood would i need to line them or paint them with something to stop the mix soaking in?

i worked out roughly i'd need around 20 boards, after crunching some numbers that came to just over half a cubic metre of concrete
average board is say £8 - x 20 = £160

theres no way less than a cubis metre or concrete will cost that!?!?!? lol

Sponsored Links
theres no way less than a cubis metre or concrete will cost that!?!?!? lol

is if you mix it your self

you have also got to have steel re inforcing rods other wise it will snap

if they are 6 inch high boards then you would be looking at around £6 per board.

take into account your time, some breaking, the cost of making the mould, the concrete, the reinforcement bar, then it may be a bit cheaper, but depends on how much you value your time. You also need to use the right mix and aggregate since they dont make them out of normal ballast, its a lot finer.

i know which i would do and it wouldnt be make them!

And for goodness sake - there's no such word as IMPUT.

INPUT is what you're after. And now you've had some, are you still going to try it yourself? Please let us know how you get on.

ooo bloody hell sorry about the slip of my finger by putting a m and not an n :rolleyes:

yeah cheers for all the advice etc etc.

I'll post back if i ever get round to doing it.
ta ta

ooo b****y hell sorry about the slip of my finger by putting a m and not an n :rolleyes:

yeah cheers for all the advice etc etc.

I'll post back if i ever get round to doing it.
ta ta

well thats you gone then :LOL:

in-it :D lol

its my brothers garden you see and parents are having input aswell as me and him so it could go any way at the moment.
I think whay their going to do is stick paving slabs in the ground........
oh well

sorry wabbitpoo..........by the way its spelt Rabbit.

i meant to say........isn't it........or rather is it not....but then that would not have made much sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back