Honda HR194 SX driveshaft problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite old, but works - worked - really well. The driveshaft seems to be OK but after a few minutes "the transmission rotates up a bit" and the two splined sections of the driveshaft separate ("my description"). Re-connecting them is easy. A few minutes later the same happens again.

Is there a mounting for the transmission that I have not seen? Would this prevent the transmission rotating?

Looking at
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_lawnmowers_parts_select_model_m10.php
I have not identified which diagram or which part might be the important one.

Thanks for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
There's a circling or 'slip ring' on each end of the driveshaft......if these are in place, I can't see how the shaft can separate.
Are you able to confirm this? This is the SXE model I'm on about here.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman

"...if these are in place, I can't see how the shaft can separate."

Well, the driveshaft seems to be solidly conected at each end with the sliprings holding fine.

In use the transmission rotates drawing the splined shaft apart into two pieces. I guess if the transmission could be held from rotating the spline(s) would stay together. But what stops the transmission from rotating?

I think that is the problem.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a stud protruding from the gearbox which locates in a slotted bracket, this lets the gearbox slide up and down when the height of cut is adjusted but should stop it rotating?
litl

lostinthelight - Thank you. That is exactly the description of the fault and the solution. Once the sun shone I got enough light to see what you describe and to fiddle with loosening bolts in order to get the gearbox stud back into the locator bar.

Problem solved!

Photo of the driveshaft - two halves not connecting with each other due to gearbox being rotated away from proper alignment.
Photo of the locator bar with gearbox stud out of place behind allowing a wrong alignment.

Fiddly to fix but showing again the durable construction of the Honda.

edit: typo

Attachments

• MowerDriveShaft_DSC00637.jpg
    MowerDriveShaft_DSC00637.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 200
  • TransmissionLocatorBar_DSC00646.jpg
    TransmissionLocatorBar_DSC00646.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 161

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back