Honda Izy mower blue smoke from exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening

Blue smoke and an acrid burning smell have come from the exhaust on this new mower which I have used about a dozen times on a medium sized flat lawn.

When it cooled down there were oily deposits just inside the exhaust. I had tipped the mower over several times before it happened to remove wet grass from under the body. The air filter is clean and the mower was tipped over on its side to the right only (air filter upwards).

I have not attempted to restart it.

Any ideas what has caused this and can it be easily resolved??

Cheers

Blup

Sponsored Links
When you tipped it up you probably tipped oil into the head so it will need to burn off.

Obviously i cannot be 100% on that due to not seeing it etc but i use petrol mowers all the time and tipping them on their side to clean underneath or take the blade off to sharpen it always makes them smoke like crazy for some time afterwards.

Contact a local mower mender if you are really worried.

This goes for almost every mower....only tip it back onto its handles to get underneath, if it has oil and fuel in it - if its been tipped over onto the air filter side, you'll need a new paper air filter. Oil runs down the crankcase breather pipe and gets in there.
With the Izy, don't overfill the oil (check with the dipstick out) and when they get on a bit, a little blue smoke from start up is normal.
John :)

on hondas when you go underneath you tip towards the exhaust so that oil doesnt get into the carb. there is no way on a honda engine that oil will get into the combustion chamber unless your bore, rings or valve stem seal or valve seals are knackered.

with a briggs engine you tip the mower back because briggs are crappola.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your helpful replies.

I have run the mower for a couple of minutes and it has burnt off the excess oil and is now running fine - will be more careful about tipping it in future.

The Izy is an excellent mower.

Cheers

Blup

If you fancy a job for the winter, drain out the oil and fuel, turn the thing over and clean and paint the deck underside.....they rust like hell.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back