Honewell 3 position diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help with this one.

Genuine post not a bodged DIY attempt and asking for help.

I had a new boiler installed over 12 months ago by a gas safe engineer, it has never really worked since the install and now after all this time the installer will not come back or even answer any comms.

They did come back a few times during the first few months and after each visit nothing really seemed to be an improvement but now in the last few months the excuses I have had is I can't attend because I am ill / on holiday / too busy etc etc......

The issues - for me to heat water to the cylinder I have to turn up my wall thermostat which then operates the boiler, the pipe to my cylinder gets hot and I have to turn the wall stat down to turn off the HW water.

For the rads to work I have to turn on the ch and hot water on the program together.

Trading standards and gas safety / registered manufacture installer issues aside I just want to to get the thing working properly.

The junction box is a birds nest of wires, taped together with insulation tape and unused wire just snipped with no insulation a real bodge job.

Now if the system is operating opposite to that which it should be ie room stat on hot water heating instead of room stat on rads working, could this be resolved by simply turning the honeywell 3 position diverter valve round the other way?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks and sorry if it sounds like a rant but this has been a very expensive and frustrating experience for us.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a wiring issue & if it was me I would disconnect everything in the wiring centre & start from scratch.
The problem you will have is finding someone who is capable of wiring a Y plan system, a lot of the guys out there now only know how to put a plug on a combi and even wiring a room stat is a challenge.

Op when you had the boiler fitted, what other works did you have done as part of the job?

If waters gone through already then surley it was going to have to be sorted anywsy

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the reply.

I had a system boiler removed which had an internal diverter valve fitted (French boiler) and the new boiler fitted where the honeywell diverter and condensate pump was fitted in its place.

I have seen the honeywell sundial connection box which seems pretty straight forwards why something like this wasn't unused in the first place I don't know. I may take your advice and have a look myself as I am sure many years of engineering and diy will be a help.

Thanks again.

1. Check the valve model no. It should be a V4073.

2. You can't turn the valve round, but it's worth checking that it is installed correctly. The ports are marked on the side of the brass body - A, B and AB. AB goes to the boiler or pump. A goes to the rads, B to the HW cylinder

Can you take pic of the junction box (with the lid off ;) ) so we can see the wiring.

This is what the wiring looks like.

FFS! Rip it out & start again
Looking at that there's not one 5 core cable in there so there might not be enough wires in there. Y plans not only need a wire to tell the valve to turn on HW or CH it also needs one to tell it to turn them off, looking at that there's a chance he's only provided a L N for each demand.

Also thanks D Hailsham for the diverter info, it is plumbed in opposite to those points mentioned.

Wtf is that

I expect to see that on old systems not new!!

Also thanks D Hailsham for the diverter info, it is plumbed in opposite to those points mentioned.
Does sound as if it's thre wrong way round. But before you change it:

Can you check the valve no? Is it a V4073 or a V4044?

Which boiler do you have?

The boiler is an ideal logic It does have a v4073 diverter valve fitted.

Thank you for all of your input. I can see that I am not over exaggerating the quality of the installation as quite a few have have seen the photos and passed comment.

Should I make an approach to any professional body regarding this installation as I feel I am not going to get them back in a hurry to resolve this. Cheers

page 28 of manual (assuming yours is a combo boiler) plus Y plan daring should be easy enough to get the problem sorted. Looks like wiring of controls is not a strong point for your guy.

You could talk to Gas Safe and see if they want to be involved. The guy might not be registered. If he is then he might have to improve his skills

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back