Honeywell mid-position valve head spring assembly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I opened up the head of my Honeywell mid-position valve (V4073 A 1039) and think that there is a problem with the spring that connects to the valve spindle. There is also a piece of cardboard around the board that pushes against one of the springs. Is that standard?
Also noticed that moving the lever doesn't move the spindle gradually, but rather erratically and sometimes not all.

The problem I am having is that the radiators come on when calling for hot water only.

Background: We had no hot water at all but the call for hot water brought on the radiators. As expected the valve itself was stuck and I freed it with silicone lubricant, thanks to the FAQs!
I made an improvement. Now we get hot water and hot radiators when calling for heat only.
We only just moved into this house, and I feel that the previous owner did not maintain the house at all, so the valve might have been stuck for years and the spring in the motor valve might have just worn out.

Before I buy a new head, can someone tell me whether it's normal for the lever not to always move the spindle and for that piece of cardboard to be there? (If it was normal, I guess it could also be a problem with the wiring)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• WP_20161029_001.jpg
    WP_20161029_001.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 131
The spindle needs to move easily. Any resistive rotation just means the spring cannot restore the valve to home position.

Trying to move the lever with actuator off the body will not work well as the mechanism is centralised on the spindle when head/ actuator fitted to valve body.

Good posibilty you need a new valve body or new paddle for the valve

Sponsored Links
In case someone runs into the same issue:

I bought a new valve (off ebay and cheaper than motorhead only), separated head and body and then replaced the head (like for like) to see whether that would do it. And it did. I kept the valve body in case that needs replacing soon. The hardest bit for me was to squeeze three cores of cable into one terminal in the wiring centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back