Honeywell Security - Galaxy 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an ADT system which was installed when I moved in by the previous owner 4 years ago. The display is now showing adt bat mis 0001 and also manager reset code required. I do have that code but I don't know what to do? I have read that it's most probably the battery that needs replacing. Can anyone please advise and if it is battery, where can I buy replacement from? Or if someone is able to do maintenance on this system, how much roughly will it cost? The alarm is working if I click the esc button

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There will be a battery in the main panel box, however removing the cover from that box will induce a tamper alarm. Ideally you need the engineers code (different from the managers code) to disable tampers while you have covers removed. I'm not sure if you can reset the system using your managers code when you put the cover back on (if you decide to try it without engineers code), or whether it would need an engineers reset.

You'll get a new battery from ebay etc for about £15, and if it's the same as my G2 (a non-ADT one) it'll be a 12 volt 7ah, and easy to change, just two spade terminals.

I'm not an alarm expert BTW, but I installed my G2. I'm sure those with more knowledge will be along soon.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for this. Are you able to provide steps by steps of what I need to do? Are you able to pm me please?

Thanks

There will be a battery in the main panel box, however removing the cover from that box will induce a tamper alarm. Ideally you need the engineers code (different from the managers code) to disable tampers while you have covers removed. I'm not sure if you can reset the system using your managers code when you put the cover back on (if you decide to try it without engineers code), or whether it would need an engineers reset.

You'll get a new battery from ebay etc for about £15, and if it's the same as my G2 (a non-ADT one) it'll be a 12 volt 7ah, and easy to change, just two spade terminals.

I'm not an alarm expert BTW, but I installed my G2. I'm sure those with more knowledge will be along soon.

The reason it might be different from my Galaxy is that I believe ADT can have different panels, based on the same platform.

If you have the (6 digit) engineers code then dial it and hit ENT, the screen will show ALERT, dial the 6 digit code again and hit ENT. It should now say ENGINEER MODE, which disables the tampers. Take the cover off the panel, replace the battery, and replace the cover and screw. To escape engineers mode dial the 6 digit code and hit ESC (not ENT this time). The screen will say CHECKING FOR TAMPERS, then MODULES WAS 4 NOW 4 (or similar), then return to normal.

There is also a setting which may or may not be enabled, which requires a user to authorise accessing engineers mode. I've not tried entering engineers mode with this enabled but if it asks for a user code to proceed then obviously enter it.

Here's a copy of the installation manual...
http://www.beacon-ni.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Honeywell-Galaxy-Series-2-User-Manual.pdf

And remember there's live 240 volts in the panel unless you cut the power (which will probably trigger the alarm) so if you're not confident then I'd advise leaving it to a pro.

Sponsored Links
Alan,

Thanks the engineer code I have is only 4 digits and it's the Mk7 LCD
Keypad that I have.

Thanks

The reason it might be different from my Galaxy is that I believe ADT can have different panels, based on the same platform.

If you have the (6 digit) engineers code then dial it and hit ENT, the screen will show ALERT, dial the 6 digit code again and hit ENT. It should now say ENGINEER MODE, which disables the tampers. Take the cover off the panel, replace the battery, and replace the cover and screw. To escape engineers mode dial the 6 digit code and hit ESC (not ENT this time). The screen will say CHECKING FOR TAMPERS, then MODULES WAS 4 NOW 4 (or similar), then return to normal.

There is also a setting which may or may not be enabled, which requires a user to authorise accessing engineers mode. I've not tried entering engineers mode with this enabled but if it asks for a user code to proceed then obviously enter it.

Here's a copy of the installation manual...
http://www.beacon-ni.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Honeywell-Galaxy-Series-2-User-Manual.pdf

And remember there's live 240 volts in the panel unless you cut the power (which will probably trigger the alarm) so if you're not confident then I'd advise leaving it to a pro.

Codes may be 4, (5) or 6 digits. If you, or the previous owner, just let the contract with ADT lapse, there's a good chance that you don't have a manager's code. This will mean that you won't be able to reset the alarm after you have generated the tamper (by opening the panel). You can stop the noise but you can't set the alarm again. You can check this by going into the user code part of the menu and checking the "level" assigned to your code.

I'm sure that socdesign will soon come and give you chapter and verse... ;)

There's a dead easy work-around for G2 owners who want to replace a dead battery, but don't have the engineer code and don't want the hassle of trying to reset codes.

1. Remove the mains fuse from external fused spur (external sounder will sound).
2. Open the control panel.
3. Place the new battery and connect black (ground terminal).
4. Get the lid and top screw ready.
5. Now connect the red (+12V) battery terminal and get the lid on and top screw in as soon as possible.
6. Power on the mains at the fused spur.

If you get steps 5 and 6 done quickly, then the panel will boot without any tampers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back