honeywell t6360 wired incorrectly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, bit concerned here, basically i was just painting the hallway and i decided to take the cover of my room thermostat off and to my surprise something caught my eye, i noticed that the electrician who wired this thermostat up seems to have wired it up incorrectly, the live on the diagram shows as being in #1 but its wired as #3 and the neautral on the diagram shows as #2 but its been wired up #1

So ive attached 2 pics, basically the 1st is the wiring of the thermostat and the 2nd is the diagram on the inside of the cover.

Can someone please kindly let me know if it is safe and correct? just concerned now.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
View media item 89679
View media item 89680
I assume there are only two wires ( red and black ) and the earth wire.

The red is probably Live and the black is Switched Live back to the boiler. On that diagram the boiler is shown as that little rectangle between Neutral and terminal 3

Properly wired there would be three wires plus earth

Live from boiler supply
Switched Live back to the boiler
Neutral used only to supply the accelerator resistance which reduces the difference between the temperatures at which the thermostat turns ON and OFFi

Assuming your photo's are those in bernardgreen's post, then strictly speaking, they are both 'lives'. It is usual to connect the red 'live' to terminal 1, but in your case, because you don't have the neutral for the accelerator connected it doesn't really matter. [If the accelerator was to be connected, the terminal 1 would need to be the permanent live for it to operate properly]

Terminals 1 and 3 are simply a switch, the two terminals are connected together when the thermostat calls for heat. You can swap them over if you like, but it won't make any difference to anything functional, and it's not dangerous as it is.

The thermostat is double insulated as indicated by the symbol of a square within a square, so it doesn't actually need an earth connection. The earth terminal is just there for use by the installer, should he wish to do so.

Thanks stern for your explanatio, puts my mind at ease, the one other issue I got is whenever we set the thermostat to for example 15-20 it never turns off when the room temp is reached, , we always have to pysically turn it off and on no matter what temp we set it at, it never turns off when the room temp is reached.
Are we doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have an old mechanical thermostat that by design is not the most accurate of devices. So a small accelerator device is incorporated that artificially alters the temperature slightly inside the thermostat to improve its switching accuracy. Unfortunately yours isn't wired up for that to work (you would need three wires) So, you have old technology, without any compensation, that is also probably a bit worn, so I'm afraid I would expect it not to work very well.

The good news is that modern electronic thermostats work much better and most only need the two wires that you have. Those with a permanent digital display are battery powered, but the batteries lasts for several years before a little symbol appears saying it needs changing.

I had an old mechanical thermostat (with the accelerator connected) and it still wasn't very good. So I swapped it for one of these.

It maintains a constant temperature, and it's that good, when I hear it click, I am not be able to detect by the room temperature, if it is turning the heating on or off.

just clicked on the image and i cant seem to make out the model etc
any chance you can reply back with model.

thank you

Those with a permanent digital display are battery powered, but the batteries lasts for several years before a little symbol appears saying it needs changing.
And with the wireless ones the batteries might last several months!

It maintains a constant temperature, and it's that good, when I hear it click, I am not be able to detect by the room temperature, if it is turning the heating on or off.
Have they fixed the barmy way they used to behave if you overrode the programmed setting?

just clicked on the image and i cant seem to make out the model etc any chance you can reply back with model.
It's a Drayton Digistat 1. It's obsolete now though. I've had it for more than 10 years, but newer versions are available.

Have they fixed the barmy way they used to behave if you overrode the programmed setting?
Don't know about that. Mine is just a thermostat, not a programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back