Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am thinking of replacing my wired Honeywell programmer and dial thermostat to a Hive V2 and would be grateful if anyone can confirm a few things! I have a separate hot water tank.

I have attached a few pictures of the wiring of the programmer and dial timer and labelled the photo (which may or may not be correct!). I have two questions.

1) Im gonna remove the programmer and wire up the Hive Receiver in its place. What then happens to the dial thermostat? Can I just remove the dial thermostat off the wall and terminate the wires and leave it in the wall or do I actually need any of them for the wiring in the Hive?

I am assuming that Hive Thermostat controls the temperature then I would have thought i would need to carry some wires across?

2) As you can see from the picture, CH OFF wire is missing from my current Honeywell programmer. Do I not need this in the Hive?

Honeywell Prog.jpg Honeywell Dial Therm.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 12.35.40.png

Thank you in advance to you all. Any info would help. I will try and retrace the wires back to the boiler but its a little buried but will take a look.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Question 1

Because the Hive carries out the functions of the existing room thermostat, the old wired thermostat needs to be removed to prevent it overriding the Hive. Unfortunately you cannot just remove it because it would leave the system open circuit and your heating would not operate. This can be done in three ways, in order of preference, they are.

1. Find the other end of the thermostat cable and disconnect it. Then link together the terminals where the L and switched live wires were connected.

2. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the L and switched live together and isolate the neutral

3. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and set it to the highest setting. (Or put the L and switched live wires in the same terminal)

Question 2

A central heating off wire is not required by your system, so not needed.

Last edited:
Question 1

Because the Hive carries out the functions of the existing room thermostat, the old wired thermostat needs to be removed to prevent it overriding the Hive. This can be done in three ways, in order of preference, they are. Unfortunately you cannot just remove it because it would leave the system open circuit and your heating would not operate.

1. Find the other end of the thermostat cable and disconnect it. Then link together the terminals where the L and switched live wires were connected.

2. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the L and switched live together and isolate the neutral

3. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and set it to the highest setting. (Or put the L and switched live wires in the same terminal)

Question 1

A central heating off wire is not required by your system, so not needed.

Hi Thanks Stem for the quick reply! Really appreciate it - will look in to that.

Hi, just regarding Question 1. Is there a 4th option in removing the old thermostat and linking the L and switched live then tucking into cavity behind new Hive stat?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back