Honeywell Y Plan System & Evohome/CM Zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm pretty certain that I currently have an Honeywell Sundial Y Plan system installed in my property, with a ST6400 7 day programmer, T6360 room thermostat, TRVs etc.

I am interested in the recently introduced Honeywell Evohome (http://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/europe/ecatdata/pg_evohome.html) which is an advancement on the CM Zone wireless system and allows 8 zones to be created and temperature controlled.

However, I am not sure whether there would need to be much work required to convert my current system to Evohome. I initially thought that the existing T6360 room thermostat could be replaced with a new HC60NG boiler relay which would call for heat from the new wireless system. This would require the 7 day programmer to be left with CH on constant to allow the wireless system to control the heating. Water would still be controlled by the 7 day programmer. The wireless system wouldn't fully work though if the CH was ever changed from constant on the 7 day programmer. Is this a option a bit of a bodge?

Although the Evohome is a new product, it works on the same principles of the more established CM Zone and I wondered whether anyone has any experience/views on what would need to be done to introduce an Evohome/CM Zone wireless system into my Y Plan current system.

I'm guessing it is a job for a professional but any basic information would be very much appreciated so that I can convince myself I know what I am talking about!

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
You probs know more about this set-up than I do but here goes!...

I've had a scan through that link and it seems that it is a control system only, and you'd need to install some kind of mechanical means of zoning the system too... Or am I missing something?

it seems that it is a control system only, and you'd need to install some kind of mechanical means of zoning the system too
That's correct.

See the Application Manual.

The only comment I would make about multi-zone installations is that you must keep the doors shut or it's a waste of time and money.

The anoraks will be drooling over the Evohome. ;)

Forgot to mention that you normally would have to convert from a Y plan to an S Plan or S Plan Plus, if you have more than one heating zone.

If your zones are controlled by wall stats and motorized valves, the pipework would have to be altered so each zone can work independently.

Which make/model boiler do you have?

PS Fundamental question! Should have been asked first.

Why do you want to zone your house?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thank your for the responses.

I guess I should explain why I am looking into this system. I'm not looking to save money as we are below average in our energy consumption and it is more for comfort and convenience than anything. The existing standard radiator TRVs don't seem to work that great and in some south facing rooms get really hot, where as other rooms you can never quite maintain a comfortable temperature. Currently I get round this by constantly going round tweaking the TRVs but I would like something more automated, together with something controllable (e.g. heat in the bathroom for an hour in the morning, then to automatically reduce down as it is not required). Appreciate that the Evohome is a little eccentric and probably overly expensive for what it does, but I thought I would look into nevertheless.

As you have probably gathered by now, the zones will effectively be rooms which are controlled by the wireless TRVs (good point about doors being closed btw). I'm guessing this system replaces the existing room stat and 7 day programmer (I've just noticed that Honeywell do an Evotouch Sundial pack which also includes a wireless HW thermostat so guess that this takes care of the water once programmed with the controller).

Any other views appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Hi,

I will look into the balancing but I think the issue is that some rooms get rapidly heated by sunlight and the TRVs are slow to respond. I also want the ability to auto set different temperatures in different rooms and hence using some form of control system.

Thanks,

Damian

Hi,

I will look into the balancing but I think the issue is that some rooms get rapidly heated by sunlight and the TRVs are slow to respond.
That's a symptom of poor balancing. ;)

It could also be caused by poor quality TRVs; which ones do you have?

The TRVs are the standard Honeywell ones with the wax sensors.
Honeywell products are good, but any wax sensor thermostat is very slow to react to temperature changes. Honeywell quote 20 mins from open to closed.

Just follow the balancing instructions in the link I gave.

Regards TomPlumbs question, I've had the Evotouch installed for over 1 year now with good results.

The setup isn't exactly user friendly but once your there everythings good.

I have 8 zones and use it to good effect to only heat the rooms we use.

My only issue is that about 2 weeks ago it started to lose its RF/binding with the BDR91.

I thought it was another electrical appliance blocking the signal, but to date I can't find out what is causing this. At the moment I am having to rebind the Evotouch to the BDR91 on a daily basis. :(

Whats interesting is that the HR80's do not need rebinding to the Evotouch, so I'm sure it is the BDR91 that is faulty... I'm so use to that blinking Red Light.... Regards the use of the 868mhz frequency i have read that bluetooth devices, alarm systems and microwaves, garages door openers and also 4G can interfere with it........

So, after all the research I have ordered a new BDR91 and will give that a go.

I was wondering what issues other people were having that was causing them to return these?

I fitted a Home Evo system 2 weeks ago, I have a Y plan system, using 2 BDR 91s one for hot water, one for heat. The heat relay continually switches on and off, it responds to a heat demand but may switch back off after only a few seconds, the boiler is on and off all night, off for around 15 mins, on for 1 min. I have replaced the BDR91, the controller and re bound the entire system at least 5 times. I have 6 zones with the 92 rad valves. I have even moved the heat relay from the loft to the downstairs, no difference, any help would be great?
Gary

How are you rebinding the relays?

There is a good reason why there is no end user tech support for Evo ;).

What have you set the set back temp too? What actuators are open?

6 zones on a system of a. Y-plan?

You have either ballsed up the installation or have a faulty component.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back