Hoover hsc170 tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my dryer buzzes when turned on, but if i spin the cog at the back of the machine the dryer starts going. this has to be done everytime you start a new load. Has anyone any ideas as what needs to be fixed or done to get it to kick in when turned on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply. what does the motor capacitor do. does it trigger the drum to get moving and am i triggering it myself by rolling it to get started. would this be behind the main panel or would it be at the bottom of the dryer where the motor works.

Thanks again.

The capacitor is mounted on the motor in the bottom right hand of the machine (looking from the front). It is a cylindrical shaped object about 3" long, has 2 electrical wires to it, & 8uf written on the side. If the capacitor is bad the motor won't start loaded (it may also refuse to start unloaded). But if you spin the rotor it will usually start. When you spin the drum by hand you are in fact spinning the rotor fairly fast therefore it starts. Another cause of start failure could be an open circuit in the start winding. This does happen occasionally but it is usually caused by a defective capacitor. This is the only reference drawing I could find on a PSC motor http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/9.html Bear in mind that this shows a motor supplied with 2 phases. But in the UK we use phase & neutral. However the motor works in exactly the same way.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your help. i will take a look at it and see what i can do. thanks again you were very helpful.

hi, i've tried taking the dryer apart but the only accessible part is the front and the motor is at the back behind the drum and it won't budge.
Thanks

Unless there is a removable service flap in the bottom (front end) then you'll have to remove whole front. But I do believe there is a flap. Remove the plastic grill below the door & look.

Hi again, have basically taken the thing apart and and see the drum and can see behind it the motor. have taken off the front and back cogs to get a better look but cannot get near the motor. the belt is still around the drum. have you any idea how to get at the motor. tearing my hair out at the moment. Thanks for your patience.

You posted while I was editing my last answer. Look at it again. If you take the front grill off can you see a removable cover?

Hi, i'll attach a photo so you can see my problem. i don't know how to get any further. I can't get the plastic casing out to get at the motor.
Thanks

I can't see a great deal of detail, but the white plastic bit on the lower right has to be removable to change the jockey pulley's on the belt tension assembly anyway. If so then you ought to be able get access to the capacitor, but you may need to remove a fan & screws/clips. Take some better close-up pics looking downwards at the right hand side. I don't have any drawings...only my memory.

Ok; to save time & needless typing....If you can reach in & release the belt tension on the jockey pulley's (the 2 black wheels) do that. Then slide the slack belt over the drum & take out the whole thing.

Thanks, i've gotten it out when i released the belt. It says its a 7.5uF. Should i get the same capacitor. It had actually burst and was leaking. I'll get the capacitor tomorrow and attempt to put the whole thing back together again. When i put the motor back on does the belt go in betwen the two cogs on the motor again. And is there anything else you can think of that i need to watch for when putting it together.
Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back