Hopefully easy question on Honeywell T40 thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced my old honeywell controller and thermostat with a Hive system. Its all running and working, BUT when I move house, I intend to take the Hive with me (sorry, scottish genes). So I'm keeping the thermostat wires in the wall and will reconnect before I sell.

So, the old honeywell wired thermostat I've just connected wires 1 (live) and 3 and it all works - can someone explain what wire 2 does please? (currently not used in my system).

Attached are pics of wired thermostat before I started messing and helpful wiring diagram inside thermostat.

Just worried as I'm not using wire 2 any more - it must be there for a reason?!

Attachments

• 48765723.jpg
    48765723.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 501
  • IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
Wire 2 is neutral and it is used to reduce the slewing range of the thermostat, that's the difference in temperature at which is switches on and which it switches off. There is a small resistor which warms up the thermostat to reduce the slewing range not required with electronic types.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back