Horrendous peeling paint in bathroom, what do I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone can help me put right the horrible mess I made of my bathroom?

We moved into a brand new house around 5 years ago, after around 4 years we had quite a bit of black mould appear in our bathroom. I decided I would give it lick of paint and make it as good as new.

Our bathroom has no windows and has a single extraction fan in the ceiling, it has plasterboard walls which were painted magnolia by the builders.

I cleaned the mould off with bleach and then just painted straight over with a bathroom paint (3 layers applied over 3 days and everyone using our shower in between, I realise this is where I went wrong maybe?)

It looked fabulous for about 2 days but then started to peel :(

I scraped off the peeling paint and reapplied some more, it gradually got worse.....I scraped it all off again and applied a coat of watered PVA, then another 2 coats of a different paint (I figured it might of been the cheap paint I used and bought some twice the price)

It started to peel worse than ever after a week :(

I have left it for the last few months as I was sick decorating and now it looks truly horrendous, the paint is literally hanging off everywhere and where I have scrapped it off I am down to the bare plasterboard (some areas I tried to fill and sand just to add to the mess)

I am ready to tackle it again but I obviously haven't a clue what I am doing and really need some help.

Looking at it I think I will have to try and remove all the layers of paint and start again but I just need to know what is the best way, do I scrape it off? (there is a layer of paper underneath which seems to peel off with it if I do this and this scares me, I assume it is part of the plasterboard?)

Once the paint is off it would be great to know how I should repaint the bare plasterboard, I am not looking for shortcuts, I really just want to get it right this time.

BTW the ceiling I painted at the same time with white emulsion and it has never peeled, however the black mould is back already.....sigh!

Feel free to tell me I am a numpty and I should get a professional in (I am more than willing to do this but I am actually ashamed of how it looks at the moment and I don't wan't anyone seeing it before I at least scrape the walls off)

Thanks for any help in advance

DIY_Muppet

PS I can upload a photo if needed, if only to give you all a good chuckle!

Sponsored Links
You could tile over the whole lot :D

From what you mention it sounds like whatever you cleaned the wall with left a film and the paint went wrong because of that.

In all honesty I think suggesting days with an orbital sander, filler and stripping blade will be a waste of time.

Employ a plasterer and get them to re slim all walls. If you chat with him about prep for the new skim, most will let you do that which cuts down on cost.
Then paint via mist coat and either egg shell or a bathroom paint from a decent brand.

I would see what additional venting you can add in, or at a minimum checking the existing venting for effectiveness and looking at larger ducting, and or larger vent motor.
Extractor fans are rated in m sq hour rate, your doesn't sound up to the job.

If you plaster over peeling paint then the only thing holding the plaster up is peeling paint.

You need to wear a mask and sand it back. It won't take that long. Then mist coat and bathroom paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back