Horrid 60s staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're buying (hopefully) a house with a nasty original staircase. The space below the bannisters is enclosed with hardboard (or similar) and the end posts are only roughly 2x3 inch, same as the bannister. There are no spindles hidden away or anything, it was built like this. Downstairs has a concrete floor, upstairs is normal timber. The stair bannister butts up to the ceiling below the landing.

How much work would be involved in changing this to a more traditional and attractive newel and spindle setup? Could it be a DIY job? All I can find online is guidance on reusing existing full size newel posts etc, but I don't have that! How many days work to do this full conversion for a joiner?

Where the banister butts up to the ceiling, does this meet modern regs? Since part of the staircase therefore has no handrail. Could it be made to curve around and carry on up to the landing? Any pictures of this?

Sponsored Links
I got Chippy to replace all stair parts and total cost was £600 supplied and fitted.

Do you have a picture of the existing ?

Sounds good. No pictures as yet. Only just got our offer accepted today after loads of hard work, begging and borrowing getting a second mortgage (our existing house hasnt sold yet). We REALLY wanted this house! The place needs everything stripping out anyway, skirting, architraves, stair parts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back