horstmann c17 timeswitch wiring ??? help please needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
This morning my old timeswitch came off its backplate and when my wife put it back on it blew big time :eek: . I dont think it had ever been wired correctly but we could get the heating to work so just left it, until now as we dont have any heating as i have two young chidren i really could do with some advice.
I have just got a horstmann c17 timeswitch and i cant really make out how the wiring should go. it has n l 1 2 3 4 terminals i have a live wire feed live netural and earth then i have the same for a room thermostat also wire from the pump and one from the boiler. can anyone please tell me which terminal each wire go to :?: :?: as i dont want this to blow aswell many thanks chris

Sponsored Links
Based on the limited information that you have given, I have assumed that you have a gravity hot water system with pumped central heating, as you make no mention of motorised valve(s), hot water cylinder thermostat or a wiring centre.

The wiring sketch below is what would be typically used for such a configuration. However, the wiring colours used may be different, depending upon the age of the installation and the preferences of the installer. Often, the room thermostat has a three wire connection but as you don't mention it, again I've assumed not. (If there is an earth connection to the room thermostat, check that it has not been used for switching purposes and actually goes to an earth terminal inside the thermostat. An earth wire should never be used for any purpose other than an earth but it has been known)

The small block joining the wires between the pump and the room thermostat indicates a screw connector, the black wire should have a red sleeve to show that it is being used as a live conductor, but in practice it is often omitted.

The link between L and 2 is to provide a live to the switch inside the C17. This assumes that your boiler requires a 230v switched live supply. (some newer boilers use lower voltages such as 24v produced from a power supply inside the boiler) If in doubt, check your boiler manual.

Earths are omitted for clarity, but should be connected to an earth terminal.

If anything you have is different to below, ignore the diagram and post what the differences are.

The C17 is a single channel timeswitch, so it doesn't have different on and off times for the central heating and hot water, they will both be on and off together.

Sorry that the L & N are shown transposed in my drawing :rolleyes:

There should have been instructions with the thermostat which show all of the terminal information and what they are for on page 3. A copy can be downloaded by clicking here

Stem I've just got back home and followed your diagram and thank you ever so much it works, many thanks and merry Christmas cheers.

Sponsored Links
there's a little button you can use to thank people ;) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^
Stem I've just got back home and followed your diagram and thank you ever so much it works, many thanks and merry Christmas cheers

since its crimbo I have done it for you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back