Horstmann coronet 425 - will my method be safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ok I have a Horstmann Coronet 425 that is connected to a Combi Boiler.

I would like to do the following but I would like to know if this is safe in regards to good or bad practice.

I would like to fit a 3 pin plug to the programmer to enable me to plug it into a smart plug, i would like to take the boiler feed currently running into the programmer and connect it to the back side of the wall socket, allowing me to turn on and off the heating, how this would affct the hot water is another story, not sure if that would work, I can provide additional information as to the wiring if anyone needs this.

Any guidance would be great.

Thanks

View media item 98850

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would not be safe, nor would it work. A standard 3 pin plug is designed for a live and neutral connection to a load. Presumably you intend somehow to backfeed the live supply back from the programmer into the plug?

Also the programmer will have (as a minimum) a live, switched live, and neutral as well as an earth. You cannot connect this with a 3 pin plug.

A smartplug is not what you need to achieve remote control of your heating. You need a remote accessible thermostat/programmer such as a Hive or Nest, which will be fairly easy to connect in place of the current programmer. Do you have a room thermostat as well?

The Horstmann Coronet 425 requires at least 4 wires between it and the boiler.

Live
Neutral
Earth
Switched Live . ( Live when heating is required )

It may even require 5 wires

Live
Neutral
Earth
Switch Common
Switch Normally Open . ( Connects to Common when heating is required )

Either way it cannot be wired via a 3 pin plug

EDIT too slow

Ok then thats out of the question thanks for getting back, can you recommend any smart programmers that will work in-replace of the model i have

thank you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back