Hot point oven tripping electricity even after changing heater element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My hot point oven keeps tripping out the electricity. From googling, I thought it'd be the heater element but it still trips after replacing it.

The facts
- it's a Hotpoint 6118 de luxe (fan oven)
- Grill works fine
- light works fine
- when oven switched on, the fan starts to turn but then the electricity trips out

I've googled but am stuck. Please could I ask for some expertise advice as to diagnosing the fault. Or should I just replace the oven?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Kelly x

Sponsored Links
So it only trips when the fan assisted oven is turned on?
If so have you tried disconnecting the fan, then see if the fault goes away. If so you need a new fan!
And which heating element did you replace and had this been tested as faulty?

Hi, thank you for your speedy reply. Yes, element was tested. To be honest I think the one that I replaced must have been okay as I couldn't see anything wrong with it !

I think you may be right. If it is the fan is it worth replacing or shall I just settle at buying a new oven?

Many thanx

Hi, sorry I forgot to answer about which element I replaced. It was the one at the back. Do you think it could be the one in the bottom ?

Sponsored Links
It would be best testing the bottom element, if when you use that part of the heating controls that heat the bottom element(if there is one), is when the oven trips. It is a process of eliminating the fault. So test element first, then remove that from circuit and see if the oven trips or not, do same with fan motor.
With regards to whether it is worth changing parts or buying new appliance, that would be a judgement call on if you think the appliance is worth continuing to be used. A fan motor would cost in region of £20-£50, they are not difficult to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back