Hot radiators upstairs but cold downstairs, this will test y

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Potterton Performa combination boiler that has had the following replaced in the last week; pump, diverter valve, PRV, hot water heat exchange, central heating heat exchange. We have also had the system flushed and I have ensured again there is no air in the rads.
Upstairs is toasty with the rads open on barely half a turn. Tonnes of hot water so no issue there. If I shut them all the rads downstairs start to warm.
Parting words of today's engineer was 'blocked pipe' somewhere. Any other suggestions or how we could detect where a block might be?

Sponsored Links
Just checked the paperwork and BG state they changed the return filter, I not that the temp sensor was also changed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul, I should state that all rads are open and boiler has been on since 16:00. It heats the water then turns off, upstairs are hot but downstairs cold. Downstairs will only start to warm if I shut the upstairs ones completely.

:confused:

To clarify, you need to turn off all your upstairs rads, so they don't get hot.

Also turn off the hot water.

Fire up the heating and leave it on, for as long as you need.

Do the downstairs rads get hot? Or just stay warm.

So, upstairs rads closed and all downstairs rads get hot except for the furthest one. Reopened upstairs and now the downstairs ones are cooling down. How can they be a blocked pipe?

Existing gravity check valve from the old boiler which has now started sticking shut. Common problem. Needs to be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back