Hot water cylinder clearances

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We wish to install a hot water cylinder for an unvented system into the airing cupboard of a for bed house. The airing cupboard is quite deep, and narrow at the back before widening out.

The narrow width is 650mm. Worcester have a cylinder that is 570mm. This leaves only 40mm clearance on either side. Worcester recommend >50mm in the installation instructions.

I have emailed Worcester to ask if the warranty would still be valid with this narrower clearance, but not response yet...

Does anyone have experience of a situation like this where they needed to install a cylinder with less clearance than recommend?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if it is to be an illegal DIY installation.

So there may not be a qualified installer to ask!

Tony

I am sorry but I should have made it clear that I am the home owner. The plumber we are talking to about the work is qualified for unvented systems. He thinks the clearance should not be a problem for him but I was just curious to know if this is something that does happen - installing cylinders with slightly less clearance than recommended. Although looking at some other cylinder manufacturers' installation docs I see no mention of recommended clearances.

Sponsored Links
It is important that access is available to all the pipe connections.

Other than that it is not very important what clearance.

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Have a look at the "OSO super coil" all the connections are at the top of the cylinder.

• Thanks
I would challenge any attempt to claim the warranty is void if they start being funny about maintenance clearances!

If the installer's happy I'd crack on.

• Thanks
But when a serious failure has occurred, you need to claim on the warranty.

To limit their liability makers usually word the terms in their favour and some use any excuse to get out of it.

An installer can avoid any get outs by installing totally in accordance with the makers requirements as well as their recommendations.

When they are choosing to refuse warranty work it is very difficult for the homeowner to successfully argue with them.

An oft quoted get out on boilers is when the room stat has been fitted in a different location from their recomendations.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back