Hot water for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional gravity hot water system and hot & cold water supplied from the same tank. I am told that one can fit a valve to the hot outlet from the cylinder so that the shower supply will not be affected by other taps opening. I think the valve is called a Surrey Valve. Is this correct and is the name correct? I have been unable to find such a valve on plumbing supplies websites.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the surrey flange fitting replaces the 22mm outlet connector on top of the cylinder, then you have 2 22mm outlets on the top, one for hot taps and one for the shower. I would reccommend a dedicated cold supply for the shower from the col water storage tank as well.

Another alternative is an essex flange that fits on the side of the cylinder near the top.

Only use a surrey flange if your using a pump.
Otherwise no need. Also no need for a dedicated supply from the cold cistern either.
If you considering installing a gravity shower system think twice unless you have an appreciable head of water available.

I would always use a surrey or essex flange even without a pump to eliminate the shower going cold if another hot tap is turned on whilst you are in the shower, vice versa that is why you need a sepearte cold supply from the cold storage tank.

Sponsored Links
Balenza said:
Only use a surrey flange if your using a pump.
Hm. And do you use correct spelling only when using a pump?

Otherwise no need. Also no need for a dedicated supply from the cold cistern either.
Gibberish. The full stops are in the right place though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back