Hot Water In Header Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My header tank fills with hot water when the central heating has been running for a while. It was coming out of the overflow when the heating turned off but this has know stopped. When the heating is not running the water cools.
The water is heated by a Gloworm Micron boiler. It also heats the hot water. The hot water is stored in a vented cylinder. There is no heating element connected to the cylinder. I thought i might have a faulty motorised valve but they seem to be whirring as normal. The header tank has some brown sludge in it. Could a blockage be the issue?
Would flushing the system rectify the fault?

Any guidance would be appreciated - and no i am not a copper!

Sponsored Links
your getting what is called pump over.
if your tank is full of sludge it sounds like you have a blockage.
the common place for this is where the tank feed joins the system.
15mm to a 22mm tee. probably near your pump and cylinder.

if it's not to bad turning the pump down to one can help.
but yours sounds to be fully sludged up.
your system will be low on water and your f/e tank is not replacing it as it can't get through the blockage.

Thanks for your reply hi-spec plumb heating. Would a system cleanser and flush along with a cleaning of the header tank remove the blockage?

or is the long term remedy something more drastic?

depends how bad it is.

if you can drain your system and see if your f/e tank emptys or not.
if it does thats good as you can add the cleaner and run the system as normal.

if not then the blockage may be solid and adding a cleaner from the f/e won't get through.
but you can back fill the system.
but if it's gone solid i usally just cut it out and replace that tee section. if it is accessable.
but yes the f/e needs a good clean out. i stick them in the garden and use the hose

and a cleaner through the system. ;)

Sponsored Links
what you can try somtimes works is remove the f/e tank join a hose to the feed from the f/e and use mains pressure to give it a helping hand if that dont shift it cut it out.

Thanks for the advice - i really appreciate it. I'm at work all of tomorrow so i will follow your advice on monday.

I will post a reply to let you know how i get on.

I phoned several plumbers but they are all booked up for weeks. Your guidance has been excellent. Top advice - top bloke. Thanks!

brown sludge in the F&E - you can tie up the ball valve and bail it out, then scrub it and sponge it into a bucket to get it nice and clean (this prevents additional sludge from the F&E going down into the system)

With the ball valve tied up, draw a bucket of water out of your drain cock downstairs, and see if an equivalent amount of water is drawn from the F&E to replenish the system. If it does, hooray! you still have some flow so you can put a chemical cleaner in the F&E and draw off water from downstairs so it is drawn into the system. If not :( then you will have to get your magnet to trace the blockage (as hi-spec says it is most likely in that Tee) and cut it out.

Cutting it out first, and then doing a clean and flush, would have the best results.

If you have a sludge and sediment problem, I found a Magnaclean is very good at collecting the black sludge that will be loosened by the chemical. It will cost you about £100 and is a DIY plumbing job to fit.

I am not a plumber but have done work like you've got to do.

p.s. when you've finished cleaning it and got it working properly, be sure to include a chemical corrosion inhibitor in the final fill to prevent it doing it again.

Thanks for your guidance Hi-Spec and John D.

I drained the system and flushed it through. The header tank did drain. I added a sludge remover during the re-fill and as per the manufacturers instructions i am leaving it to circulate for a few days. The header tank is still getting hot but i am hopeful that this will stop when the cleaner and sludge are flushed out. If not i will rummage through the kids toy box for a magnet!

I have read rave reviews about the Magnaclean and will invest in one when i resolve my problem.

Cheers gents - you provide an outstanding public service.

Pump over takes place when feed and vent pipes straddle the pump. Instead of sending water to the rads, pumped water takes the easier path via the vent to the header tank. Feed pipe completes the circuit.

Get these pipes relocated and then clean the system. System wiill work a lot better

Pump over takes place when feed and vent pipes straddle the pump. Instead of sending water to the rads, pumped water takes the easier path via the vent to the header tank. Feed pipe completes the circuit.

Get these pipes relocated and then clean the system. System wiill work a lot better

not always their are many reasons for pump over on a system that has been working fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back