Hot Water Tank fitted on it's side???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just moved into a new house (bungalow) and having problems with the water pressure to the Mira Sports shower and having next to no heat coming from the gas central heating (radiators)

I went up into the loft and the previous owners have moved the hot water tank from a floor cupboard and laid it on it's side up in the loft!! Obviously this raises lots of issues - especially how safe is it up there and how the heck is it going to work efficiently when the cold water is forced in to force the hot water out??

Can somebody please tell me if this is "legal" under building regs and is there a better option?? Not happy knowing there a hundred gallons (or whatever!) of water sitting over my head!

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Cheers

Kevin

Sponsored Links
There are hot water cylinders that are designed to lie horizontally.

Sure you've not got one of those?

Looks like a standard horizonal one - element at the top, feeds at the bottom?

I'm no expert but it certainly looks like a standard tank!! I'll see if I can get a make and model of it when I go back up there tonight.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If this was a standard indirect cylinder the inner coils would be airlocked and would result in no hot water. However, this should not effect the radiators or the pressure of the shower. Hopefully you can supply us with more information regarding system lay out and type of cylinder.

spraggo

Thanks for the replies

I've come into work (cos it's warmer!) but I'll send some photos as soon as I can...and provide some more details in general.

Thanks again

The ends of the genuine horizontal cylinders are different.

A normal one is not designed to be fitted horizontally and think about the damage that over 100 litres of hot water could do if it bursts!

Tony

The ends of the genuine horizontal cylinders are different.

A normal one is not designed to be fitted horizontally and think about the damage that over 100 litres of hot water could do if it bursts!

Tony

And that is what I'm worried about Tony!

Who can I sue??

:rolleyes:

Just thinking about it....I think I would be "safer" taking the tank out of the loft and replacing the gas boiler with a combi-boiler.

Although I have to admit I have no idea how they got the thing up there in the first place and I dread to think how it can be drained before removing it.

Took one out like that the other month it had been in for nearly 30 years with no ill affects but it did sit in a purpose built cradle and have the seam at the top. and had an essex flange at top for the hotwater outlet.

They are desigened to stand up right so personally would not trust one fitted like that.

Easy to empty just turn water off then open the taps then put a hole in highest point of cylinder and syphon out with a hose

Took one out like that the other month it had been in for nearly 30 years with no ill affects but it did sit in a purpose built cradle and have the seam at the top. and had an essex flange at top for the hotwater outlet.

They are desigened to stand up right so personally would not trust one fitted like that.

Easy to empty just turn water off then open the taps then put a hole in highest point of cylinder and syphon out with a hose

You have to be joking, wot with a coil inside. :?: :?: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Joking about what ? fully pumped system air was never a problem why would the coil not get rid of its the air ?

Joking about what ? fully pumped system air was never a problem why would the coil not get rid of its the air ?

Think about it, you would have to have an air vent on top of each loop of the coil, thats why the annular heat exchanger is fitted in cylinders that lay on their side.

The system had no air in it at all customer said they had never had a problem with hotwater or heating and the header tank was fitted 5 feet above it and it had worked perfectly well for 30 years.
So it would appear the pump had pushed any air that might have been present on initially filling out of the coil without the need for addition vents of any kind

Interesting, I take it that there were no air vents on the customers radiators either then :confused: :confused: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back