Hot Water Tank fitted on it's side???

Sponsored Links
By the look of the photo it is not even an indirect cylinder which would have certainly not done the rest of your system any good. I would do as you suggested by removing the lot and fitting a combi boiler. you will probably have to renew all readiators and flush system atc.

How long ago did you purchase the house as I would have thought that you the house survey would have noticed this?

spraggo.

What day is it today?? About 6 days ago!!!

The Home Report just mentioned that the cold water tank did not have a jacket on it!!

I would think it would be worth having chat with the solicitor that dealt with your conveyance, you will probably need to get a written report from a reputable heating engineer.

Regards

spraggo

Sponsored Links
The Home Report just mentioned that the cold water tank did not have a jacket on it!!

Shows how useful these Home Reports really are.

Scottish plumbers seem to be quite inventive where they put HW cylinders, I used to live in a flat that had it straddling the wall between kitchen and bathroom (so a bit poked into each room, not above the ceiling) and another house had it perched on a scaff pole across the top of the shower enclosure.

I just don't have a good feeling about that one lying on its side.

Shows how useful these Home Reports really are.

Scottish plumbers seem to be quite inventive where they put HW cylinders, I used to live in a flat that had it straddling the wall between kitchen and bathroom (so a bit poked into each room, not above the ceiling) and another house had it perched on a scaff pole across the top of the shower enclosure.

I just don't have a good feeling about that one lying on its side.

How do you think I feel seeing it there??

There seems to be a fair bit of scorching on the element and the mains lead...and maybe it's the camera angle but that water feed pipe does not seem to be fitting into the inlet connector squarely. (Apologies for the use of non-techie terminology!!)

There is nothing right about this installation, the sooner you get rid of it the better.

There is nothing right about this installation, the sooner you get rid of it the better.

Can anybody tell me if this is "legal" under Building Reg? I'm just about to fire an email off to the conveyancer and I just want to make sure I'm not going to make a prat of myself!

Cheers

Your house pack should have contained certification of heating and hot water systems to show that they have been installed correctly. Part L of the building regulations cover this but they vary in different parts of the country.

spraggo

Your house pack should have contained certification of heating and hot water systems to show that they have been installed correctly. Part L of the building regulations cover this but they vary in different parts of the country.

spraggo

Unfortunately Home Reports have nothing that fancy!!

From the Home Report:-

Internally, approximately 30mm thick fibreglass insulation quilting
has been laid between the ceiling joists. The loft space also
accommodates the uninsulated cold water PVC holding tank and hot
water storage facility.

This is the "Water, Plumbing & Bathroom Fittings" section
Distribution pipework, where seen, is formed in copper and PVC
pipework.

The Bathroom suite comprises a modern bath with electric shower
fitment over, WC and wash hand basin facilities.

Visual inspection of the accessible pipework, water tanks, cylinders
and fittings without removing any insulation.
No tests whatsoever were carried out to the system or appliances.

Heating and hot water section
Space heating is provided care of the Potterton Neta Heat gas fired
boiler which supplies a series of hot water radiators throughout the
main Living Accommodation.

The gas boiler is located within the Kitchen cupboard.

Domestic hot water is provided care of the central heating system,
supplemented by both an electric immersion heater and from the
open fire.

Accessible parts of the system were visually inspected apart from
communal systems, which were not inspected.

No tests whatsoever were carried out to the system or appliances.

Think about it, you would have to have an air vent on top of each loop of the coil, thats why the annular heat exchanger is fitted in cylinders that lay on their side.

Not necessarily. If you can get the water velocity above about 2 fps (I think it is) the air will get entrained in the water and the bubbles are removed. Once the air is gone, it shouldn't return.

An air vent on all high-points is good plumbing practice and a conventional cylinder installed horizontally would be prone to persistent air-locking.

An air vent on all high-points is good plumbing practice and a conventional cylinder installed horizontally would be prone to persistent air-locking.[/quote]

Very good advice

Hi Afreespirit, In other words not worth the paper that it is written on.
But surely you have a gaurantee of some sort on a new house?.

In other words not worth the paper that it is written on.
But surely you have a gaurantee of some sort on a new house?.

Sorry - New house to me! It's circa 1975 I believe. The previous owner is pleading ignorance. Said the shower was there when she moved in two years ago...we've been there less than a week and it's already doing ourt head in!!

Now I think back - it was strange that she said (without any prompting from me) that she did not have a loft ladder and did not go into the loft!!

:oops:

I still think it is worth having a chat to your solicitor. Did the house sales literature mention anything about full central heating etc?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back