Hot Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is my first post on this forum so Hi to everyone out there!
I have a question, my boiler appears to be working ok and is heating all the radiators in the house, the problem is that it is not heating the water in the hot tank. The pipe going into the tank is hot right up to where it joins into the side of the hot water tank, but the tank itself remains cold?
Anyone any suggestions as to what might be wrong?
Thanks in anticipation :?:
Davy

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the quick response, but excuse my ignorance. Would i be right in assuming the coil is in the hot tank?
How would I fix the problem?
Thanks
Davy

Sponsored Links
OK - not what i wanted to hear, is there anything else that may be the cause before I ned to replace the hot tank?
Davy

The temperature of the return connection on t'other end of the coil is also of interest.

If it is as hot as the flow, the cylinder isn't absorbing the heat, if it is cold, it's possible there is insufficient flow to the cylinder coil when the heating is on.

Does the boiler heat the hot cylinder if hot water only is selected?

Some gravity hot water systems stall when the heating pump is running. One solution may be to run hot water heating outside the times when the central heating is required, but that may not be a possible option with the programmer.

I don't have the option to select heating of hot water only. The system would have heated both water and radiators at the same time.
Again excuse my ignorance but where woud the return connection for the coil be positioned?

The first pipie I refered too entered the tank about 1/3rd way up the height of the tank , there is another directly below this just at the base of the tank, this is also cold? :confused:
It did take the hot water a long time to heat up in the hot tank prior to this happening.

The usual layout of the hot cylinder is outlet and vent at the top, the primary coil connections one above the other on one side, and the cold feed to the cylinder at the bottom, usually on the opposite side to the primary coil.

The primary coil can sometimes need bleeding, much like a radiator. Often there is a bleed valve teed into the upper coil connection.

A lack of water, or a blockage in the F&E tank can also stop the circulation, and may affect the central heating soon afterwards too.

Thanks
I will have another look and see what I can do before giving in and replacing the tank altogether ! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back