Hot water tap won't rotate (PHOTOS INCLUDED!)

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by bosseye, 1 Jul 2006.

This topic originated from the How to page called Replacing a washer in a tap.

1. bosseye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Blimey, this is driving me nuts!

Basically, in the last few days the hot tap for the mixer on the bath has gone stiff, so now it siezes after about 1 rotation - so theres simply not enough hot water coming out to have a shower. I would presume a dodgy washer, or simply a good clean/descale of the components is required, however I can't figure out how to undo the tap!

I get as far as you can see in the phots, but I can't work out how to remove the rotating top assembly (with the cross shaped bars) to get at the brass nut underneath.

Something simple? Hopefully. I need to get this fixed because I'm starting to smell!
    Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you want the posh answer or the plumber's one?
    And are you a mean git?

Lots of solutions:
    Pour boiling water on the head - everything expands and the goo softens.
    Put the screw back in loose, put a lever under the head and pull up while tapping down on the screw.

Use a posh adjustable "puller" - under a tenner, and I wouldn't be wthout one

Or - you might as well get a pair of tap revivers, they're cheap £12 or so , from a merchant or even a "shed".
    [​IMG](eg These are a fiver)

Then put a gert big pair of grips on the tap top. And undo. The tap top might break, but so what, you've got a replacement.

3. cozzmic

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Once you've got the head off you'll find that water has got in behind the barrel which supports the washer, past the oring where the spindle thread is. If you empty the water out of the barrel then put graphite paste on it it should be ok for further use.

4. bosseye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks chaps - I'll try boiling water first then, see what happens. Other than that, I might simply rip out the old taps and buy some new ones.

If I could get the side of the bath off that is :mad:

5. bosseye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No joy here. Still can't work out how to get at the main nut. I'll get a plumber in then!

Seriously, why make taps that you can't take apart? All the other taps in the entire house come apart like a dream, allowing total access the entire valve. But not the bath taps.

Sods law eh? Thanks for the help though.

6. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom