Hot water very slow out of bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was wondering if someone could advise on this problem.

I went out to a house yesterday where the customer was saying the water from the hot water tap on the bath was coming out very slow. I tried it and it was a very low discharge rate. The cold water tap was fine. I checked the hot water tap on the basin which was nearby, but that was working fine, as was the hot water from the kitchen sink.

I assumed therefore that it must be the bath tap thats faulty, so changed the bath tap to a new one (which I always keep with me). However again same problem. I took apart the old tap and it seemed fine, no faults, it was relatively new. Customer says he had this changed about 6 months ago to address the issue of the low rate of water, but had done little to improve it.

So i'm at a loss as to whats causing the issue. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Sponsored Links
whats the taps fed from gravity cylinder ?
what size are the feeds ?

have you tried flushing the pipe through with mains pressure ?

whats the taps fed from gravity cylinder ?
what size are the feeds ?

have you tried flushing the pipe through with mains pressure ?

Its direct fed, combi system.

I've not tried flushing through at mains pressure, to be honest wouldnt know how to do this on the hot water pipe. I've only recently started on this plumbing work and this is one of my very first callouts.

I'm assuming based on what you have said that the fault is probably a blockage in the pipe?

if its from a combi then it will be mains pressure.

i take it the basin hot comes off the same pipe as the bath hot, so the block can only be between the basin/bath.

can you see any isolation valves in the hot pipework to the bath ?

Sponsored Links
There was an isolation valve on the pipework between bath and sink.

Thanks for your advice, really do appreciate it.

if there is a cylinder fitted it may be a tiny bit of foam lagging which got into the tank when it was fitted, i know a guy who fitted a cylinder for his friend ( :oops: :oops: ) then a couple of years later had a prob with basin tap as described in this post, when he ( :oops: ) turned water off couldnt see anything but as no pressure on pipe foam fell back into pipe and couldnt be seen, eventually had to take basin supply pipe out and found foam lagging bent and shaped to size of pipe and restricting flow, so it can happen after a fair length of time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back