Hotpoint WD420 fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'd just like to say thanks to HarryM1BYT. Your tip worked a charm!

I have a Hotpoint WF321, owned since 2006 without problems, so I've been relatively lucky I guess. Experienced the flashing lights like others here.. Got a new Capacitor from Maplin, and replaced old one.. Washing machine is back to normal and currently washing right now!

Thanks Harry!

Hotpoint Repair Options :-

Option 1. £129.99 Labour & Repair. 90 days warranty

Option 2. £16.49 * 12 months = £197.88 . Machine replaced if it breaks again and is unfixable.

Harry's method (the option I picked) :-

£0.50p new capacitor
£14.99 solder iron + solder tape

Total = £15.49
==========

Sponsored Links
And thanks from us, too.
Found this forum a few months ago when the lights started flashing and wondered whether it was the answer. Unfortunately I'm the sort of person who is liable to create a major problem while fixing a minor one, and the machine was still working so left it, until this week it stopped working altogether.

£1.03 for the capacitor, and the job took less than half an hour. Given the age of the machine that's saved us the cost of a brand new one.

The OP of this thread should be on a percentage of monies saved! Thank you Harry.

Paul

Hello. Just signed up purely to post my thanks to the original poster as well. Had my machine since 2006, was fine until about 6 months ago when it would struggle to turn on. Most (not all) lights would flash initially when turned on. I would have to hold the start button down for several seconds several times before it started working. I did take apart the washer to find the PCB but only found the dials board in the top which confused me for a while as I buzzed that out with a multimeter and it was fine. Did a quick google for any articles about some lights flashing but came up blank. Last Friday all the LEDs started flashing which eventually brought me here. Didn't know there was another PCB in the machine! Pulled it out and C17 is blown. Fully expect a replacement to fix it. Thanks once again!!!!

:D :D
Just put it back together and all works like a dream.
lights 1 - 4 flashing found your blog. C17 off course the fault. A few pounds a bit of learning and an Aldi solder iron, luvly.
Cheers for your and other replies. 6 years later.

Sponsored Links
Just signed up to say thanks to HarryM1BYT, and all the others that confirmed the fix.

I had a Hotpoint WT741 with all lights flashing.

I just replaced C17 with a 1000uf 16V 105degree capacitor, 59p from Maplin. Now back up and running.

Cheers!

Just signed up to say thanks to HarryM1BYT, and all the others that confirmed the fix.

I had a Hotpoint WT741 with all lights flashing.

I just replaced C17 with a 1000uf 16V 105degree capacitor, 59p from Maplin. Now back up and running.

Cheers!

I know nothing about the safety of various components and am always petrified of burning my flat down. Is this component safe to use? Apologies for my over precautious nature

Gutted. I tried it but still the same. The washer actually pumps out water and spins. It's only when it gets to the point it has to drain that it bails.

This is the most useful of forum threads, thanks to everyone who has contributed - you are potentially saving a novice like me a tidy sum of money!

I've followed the tutorials on this thread after getting the 'Christmas tree-effect' lights on my ailing WD420 & much to my surprise was able to dismantle & reassemble the PCB, complete with new fitted C17 1000uf 16v capacitor. It started back up with no flashing lights *happy days*... or so I thought!

I put it on a test wash cycle, but as a previous poster has mentioned, it now seems to get stuck on a pre-wash type phase endlessly, almost leaving me feeling quite seasick after a while! Having cancelled the cycle & touched the water in the bottom of the drum, it's still cold to touch, so the water obviously isn't getting heated up anymore like it use to (pre flashing lights) - hence the endless cycle...

I've checked the rinse & spin cycle (all fine) & the dryer setting & that is heating up fine too. I'm 98% certain that I've reconnected the pcb in the same way as it was before (even the single blue & single brown wires (x2)), so I'm now at a bit of a loss as to what to try. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping I've just done something really daft, but I can't fathom out quite what that is just yet!

Thanks in advance...

Just registered with the forum to say Thank you to Harry and all that have contributed to this thread. Just replaced my capacitor, fixing the issue, saving me time and money. I appreciate the time and effort you all took, especially in adding photos, which probably took longer than the fix itself. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back