Hotpoint WF640 washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She had complained it was not right. lots of play in drum and research on here indicated bearings.

Guidance from earlier post has allowed strip down and the drum support (spider) is in four pieces. God knows how the outer tub survived!

Drilled out the fixings and drum is OK

Bearings feel OK to me but what would I be prudent to change while it is in bits?

New spider needed
New bearings? Machine is 6 years old
New drum seal?
Anything else?

Edit - Does a new drum support come with drum fixings? Have just drilled out the old ones.

Sponsored Links
Can depend where you get the new spider from, generally no though.

If the rest of the tub is ok then that is all you need,
we usually use bearing seal when fitting new ones just to be on safe side and use something like Fernox LX on the seal between the two tub halves..

Collecting parts tomorrow, had to buy a bag of drum fixings - anyone out there interested in some of the surplus?

PM me with an offer.

Picked up a drum support today, fitted to drum, smear of lubricant ont he shaft but it does not want to go into the bearings.

Tried tapping with hapmmer and bit of wood, tried pulling in with a bold and packing across the back - what is the secret?

Sponsored Links
2 diff drum shafts 30mm and 35 mm it should just slide in I suspect you have wrong size shaft.

Yup, other half pointed out what I should have noticed

Will speak to the supplier in the morning - he didn't mention shaft size.

Can you still get the thinner shaft?

They were obsolete a year ago but bought them back again due to demand

Parts supplier says the small shaft is obsolete . . . . .

Where can I get one from?

I guess alternate is a half outer drum, Drum Support and bearing set?

Yep that's the one. Did you know hotpoint will fit and supply parts all for 100.00. That is expensive for a drum surport

No have you tried eBay or Espares or hotpoint. Google the part loads of suppliers on there.

Not found many 30mm spiders on the web (no pun intended) but washer been in bits for nearly a week and SWMBO is making noises about a new one, .don't want to wait until Monday for delivery

Am tempted to get the 35mm rear drum half and the 35mm support, will probably be similar price to the 30mm support and I will need a 35mm bearing kit as well (if only for the seal)

Options:

Rear drum with bearings £60ish, Spider £30ish (Just returned one) - all new bearings/seal ready fitted and get new heater thrown in.

30mm spider £54 and bearing kit £30ish - Would be prudent to swop bearings - hassle - and have a spider Hotpoint know is crap.

Not much difference in price so I guess best bet is new rear drum half and new 35mm spider.

Washer is 6 1/2 years old so I would be surprised if Hotpoint will do it for £100. Will speak to them in the morning.

Rear half normally has bearings fitted part no is 1605082 you also need 4 screws for the spider. Look on hp web for service charges. Do not fall for ex warranty that costs 160

Hotpoint confirmed today that the 30mm spider is obsolete and no longer available.

Collecting a 35mm spider and half drum tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back