Hotpoint WM76 needing Gaviscon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hotpoint WM76 makes a metallic noise on 1000 and 1400 spins as though something was striking the chassis in time with each revolution of the drum or near enough! This is the only time the machine makes a noise!

It is not the drum bearings, and it is not the spider starting to disentegrate, as these have already been replaced by Hotpoint. Neither is it a coin stuck between the inner and outer drum.

I thought it was the springs attached to the counterweight twanging and attached small pieces of rubber at the ends of the springs to act as dampers against the chassis, but it has been a waste of time.

I watched the action of the drum while doing the 1400 spin with the lid off and saw nothing that might be causing the noise apart from the springs I have already mentioned. Unfortunately it is impossible to see down the sides or back of the drum, which seems to be the only place where something could be coming in contact with the chassis of the machine.

Not to put anybody off the track, but I noticed black dust at the back of the machine when I pulled it out, which looked as though it could have come from the main drive belt, but the belt is in perfect condition.

Apart from this noise the machine performs faultlessly at every turn!

Any advice greatly received!

Sponsored Links
Heater bracket come loose. Also remove rear inspection panel and see if the grey powder is at the back of the drum near the centre of the pulley.

Thank you for your quick response.

Where should I look for the heater bracket please, and by grey powder, can I take it to mean you are referring to the dust deposit I have spoken of which was lying at the back of the machine?

I can state that this residue is lying underneath the centre of the rear pulley and drive belt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back