Hotpoint WM83 Washing Machine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice on a Hotpoint WM83. What actually is the sequence of events when the machine has filled, what does it check next? With my machine, after filling,the motor kicks and then the house circuit breaker trips. This is with the heater control turned to "No Heat" I had everything to bits last week to renew the drum spider and drum bearings so I checked for shorts in the wiring but could find none. This fault was present before then. The old spider was broken in 3 places so I thought that the spider catching on the rear of the casing was putting a strain on the motor. Not so it seems, the fault lies elsewhere. So I really need to know the sequence of events that come after filling so I can continue with my fault checks.

Sponsored Links
You could disconnect the motor, make sure the disconnection is safely clear and isolated from each pin and the chassis then try again. It's a crude method, and the motor controller may not like it - but it would tell you if there's an inter-turn or earth fault with the motor. If it doesn't trip - the motor is at fault. If it does trip, the loom or driver is at fault.

Nozzle

When the drum spider breaks quite often it damages the heater.Selecting no heat doesn't take it out of circuit.
Isolate the heater connections and see if that solves it.

Thank you Nozzle, I have had the motor out and the brushes and commutator are hardly worn. But I have no way to test the internal insulation of the motor and a new one is £76-80 pounds. But there is an earth terminal on the motor so I will remove it and insulate the wire with tape, then try to run the machine. If that does not work, I will try disconnecting the motor. The machine will run all programs using a 2 core (no earth) cable. So it is definitely an earth problem, its shorting somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice about the heater. I have a new heater element on order so will try it when it arrives.

You removed the earth?!? This is there for your protection, put it back pronto!

Nozzle

I have not yet removed the earth wire from the motor, as I am waiting on delivery of a new heater element, to see if that is the true source of my problem. I know the purpose of an earth wire and that it is there for my protection. The motor is attached to the plastic drum, therefore its only earth path is via the earth wire, and the machine is quite watertight. As long as the motor does not touch the metal casing of the machine, and I don't touch the motor while the machine is plugged in and on, I am safe. If the motor turns out to have an internal short circuit, then it will be replaced and pronto.

Many thanks to all who tried to help me with my washing machine fault. I am pleased to report complete success. I went from suspecting house electrics, to suspecting the motor, to replacing the spider, to replacing the heater. The heater was the problem. The drum spider breaking had wiped the heater out, as the marks left by the drum gave witness too. Total parts cost came to £34. DIYnot is a great forum, you gentlemen really came through for me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back