Hotpoint wma37 bearing replacement..

nee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help!!!

Im about to change the bearings on our 2 year old machine...(shouldn't have gone this early im my opinion....but the wife tends to shove in as much as possible...so fair play i spose!!)

is there a page that tells you how to do it?
I repaced my mums bearings...but that was years ago...and i had a manual!!

Please help!!

Neil ;)

Sponsored Links
The bearings should definitely not have gone within two years, they should be good for five at least. Motto - (as seen previously on this site) don't overload the machine.

Funnily(!!) enough I've just had to replace the bearings on my Hotpoint WM63. I replaced them 15 months ago when the machine was just five years old. When I went to get the replacement set this time, the guy in our local shop advised me to check the spindle. Sure enough when I took it apart this time the seal had gone and the spindle was pitted and lightly scored (why this should happen I don't know). Anyway I replaced the spindle and all is running as sweet as a nut at the moment.

Coming back to your original question about how to do it, I seem to remember seeing something about bearing removal on the WMA but I can't find the website!! Not much help am I. If it is any use the procedure on the WM is to disconnect the drive belt, unscrew the nut on the pulley (conventional thread), unscrew the pulley. Remove the front panel of the machine, unclip the drum and swing the whole lot round to the side. You should be able to get away without having to disconnect anything.

Withdraw the stainless steel drum (it might need a gentle(!) tap from the back to free it). Check the spindle for wear or marks where it sits in the seal. Replace if necessary.

As far as the bearings are concerned, I've no doubt it is best to use a puller if you can get one. I managed to drift mine out successfully but it needs a fair old whack to start them off. I removed the rear bearing first drifting through from the front and then the inner bearing going in from the back.

Refitting everything, as they say, is just the reverse of the above. I popped the bearings in the freezer for 10 mins before putting them in just to contract them a bit - don't know if this did anything but they went back OK. Again you need to drift them very firmly to seat them properly.

All in all it took me about three hours but that included going back to the shop to buy a spindle.

I also cut my arms to pieces on the sharp edges of the panels of the machine. Be warned!

If you're using a local shop to get the bearings they should be able to advise you on the correct procedure and offer any advice on the right sort of puller. If I can find the link to the WMA I'll post it. It's probably here somewhere. :D

thanx for the advice! ;)
I know once im doing it i'll be fine....its just stupid things like the door rubber and stuff that i cant remember how to take off and put back, and if it needs to come off in the first place.....!!
a site would be mega-handy if u can find the link..
thanks
neil

Sponsored Links
gutted! :mad:
*calls hotpoint and begs for reduced call out*

thanks for the info tho ;)

i used to work for hotpoint changing bearings was not the best liked job, used to take me about 2 hours and yes i had a bearing puller

It wasn't the bearings that I found a pain, it was the five years of accumulated sludge inside the machine that was the worst part. I live in a hard water area and half a bucket of c**p came out, half of it over the kitchen floor. (Mrs B not impressed :evil: ).

I believe that if you do a very hot wash (90deg) with soda crystals this will clean the machine out but I've yet to try it.

Cheers to everyone for the advice!
Hotpoint are calling out at a reduced rate of £49.......better than £89 ;)

I always believed that replacing the bearings would be a waste of time as the bearing housings in the outer plastic drum/ inner s/s drum would be knacked by the vibration. Also told that if you grip the front top edge of your inner drum and lift, any more than 3mm movement before it "clicks" tells you time to buy a new m/c. Is that true ??

when changing the bearings you had (i always did) change the spider that holds the inner s/s tub the bearing housing in the moulding is 99 /100 ok, as its usually the inner bearing that went, or the bearing water seal.

yes you are right about the 3mm

once had one that moved 5cm any way you like

masona said:
nee said:
Hotpoint are calling out at a reduced rate of £49.......better than £89 ;)
Well done,how did you do it ?
ok.....they were very reluctant at first, but i explained that i used to sell the things for 13 years and i know that a machine of this age shouldn't need the bearings replaced.
I also said that i had booked service calls for customers before and its a case of 'he who shouts loudest gets results'......i then said that i dont shout because its not polite to do so, but i expect the same result!
They ummmed and arrred for a bit but i was very polite and literally told them what i wanted without getting angry (i think people respect that more...i know i do!!) and in the end they agreed.....

Its a case of believing in what you're saying and not crumbling when they first say no ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back