House Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm sure you are fed up with being asked this but I am a complete novice and the thought of what I am about to start scares the living wotsits out of me.. We have just started the process of an extension project on our house. Its a side kitchen extension, going up one level to double the size of a box room. The site is wide at the front and narrows to the rear of the house so its a bit of a funny shape, but the surveyor says building wise he can't forsee any issues. We are then planning an open plan dining kitchen area by knocking through the dining room to the newly extended kitchen.

Obviously until the plans are drawn up I can't get quotes, however what hints and tips can anybody give to start keeping costs down. Should I employ different trades or go with 1 builder to do the lot. I can see many sleepless nights on the horizon.

Thanks as always

Dave

Sponsored Links
Single builder or your sleepless nights will be prolonged. Make sure your Building Regs drawings are good. Choose your builder wisely ie by recommendation not by some crap Find a Builder website, this is undoubtedly by far the most important thing to get right. If 'he can start next Monday' avoid like the plague.

As above.

With regards to the drawings, make sure you know what you are getting; there are 'drawings' and 'drawings'.

Too many people in this business do drawings which look impressive, but are only of use to get your planning permission - if that. When it comes to Building Regulations, the drawings need to be sufficiently detailed.
Most lay people understandably don't appreciate the difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back