House manily pipes in copper with a tiny bit of plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If first fixing a house in copper but having to use a tiny bit of plastic as the joiner has already done his first fix and cant get in to notch the joist bar the main run. Will this give problems as I would be pressure testing the copper at 1.5 working pressure. Not the 18 bar polyplumb tell you to first fix at. Will be like 4 to 6 plastic fittings on the heating pipework so barrier pipe.

Sponsored Links
I personally would hydraulic test at 1.5 the working pressure, baring in mind that the working pressure of the sealed central heating system will likely be something like 1.0-2.0 bar static, then a rise of about 0.5-1.0 bar when heated.
So testing the installation at about 4.5 bar would be my plan of action. I am unaware that polyplumb request a 18 bar test on their products, they do suggest the maximum working pressure their pipes should be subjected to and that would depend on the type of system it is being installed to.

Last edited:
That's a lot of pumping! They usually do 10 bar around here, it's quite dramatic if the pushfit stop ends fly off.

Sponsored Links
Where did you get advised to test to 18 bar? :eek:
Standard PolyPlumb installation instructions @dilalio - fill with water and pressurise to 18 bar for between 15 minutes and one hour. It's the same for most plastic pipe systems. If you don't do it, that lovely long warranty they offer will generally be invalid, as they can dismantle a joint and check the depth of the grooves left by the grab ring to make sure it's been tested to the required pressure.

Not so, the following is from their website...

First carry out a low pressure water test at 0.5 - 1 bar when the system is just demountable fittings, then a pressure test at 1.5 x the
normal working pressure with a recommended minimum of 10 bar for a minimum of 45 mins. However if any of our slimline fittings
are included with the system, then an 18 bar test for minimum of 45 mins should be carried out.

I use the white stuff so 10bar.

That's why I'm worried about using abit of plastic on the system as it won't be getting pressure tested to 18bar

If you use Hep2O you only have to take it to 10 bar. If I use it I generally have far more copper joints on the system and never unduly worry about that if its a first fix.

this would be full copper bar 4 or 5 plastic fittings, which I would hope will be ok as would be testing to 18bar. Is a worry though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back