House Project - redesign of layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have posted a few times recently. My wife and I are about to complete on an extended bungalow (extended up into the roof to 30 years ago).

We are going to be doing some extensive work over the next couple of years, including rebuilding garage and potentially re-designing the layout of the rooms - especially the kitchen and hall.

house.jpg

So the idea is to remove the wall where the hall run parallel with the kitchen units to create one big open space.

Another suggestion was to brick up the side door in the kitchen (but leave enough for a window) and move it further back so we can have units on all 3 walls (the larder door will also be blocked up and access via the Entrance Porch created if possible.

Another idea is to block up the front door which leads into the Entrance Porch and change the downstairs bedroom into a hall with a new front door then swing the stairs around and have an opening into the Sitting Room. The current sitting room door will be blocked up.
A new door way also created either into the old Porch or under the stairs (if there's enough headroom) to lead into the kitchen. This would hopefully make the the downstairs flow better and also centralizing the front door might make it look a bit nicer too.

Interested what others would do with this floor plan as I need some inspiration :)

Once we are in, will get pictures posted up and update as we go along.....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well we are in and first job was to get a roofer in to repair a leak in the downstairs room, as the roof slopes down to first floor, found a massive hole in the roof felt and water was gushing in the corner ceiling. We had originally thought there may have been subsidence (as there are hairline cracks in the mortar outside), but now think we will just re-point that - bit of cost savings.

Shelving upstairs (and there are lots of it) has started to be removed and will get the walls plastered and rooms recarpeted so we can move upstairs (living downstairs at the moment).

My first thought was to extend the wall that runs between the sitting & bedroom all the way to where the sink is, this would leave a utility room big enough for a pantry, and all the white goods and associated kitchen storage stuff. As you have a separate dining room I'd remove the kitchen/sitting room wall to make a large space that way log burner/sofa one end kitchen the other. depends if you like that sort of room. Definitely en vogue at the moment though.

Sponsored Links
syne, interesting ideas. I'm not a massive fan of one massive room so like the sitting room to be separate. Make heating each room quicker.
Going to start on skimming, recarpeting and new inbuilt wardrobes in the bedrooms to start and then thing about downstairs after........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back