House Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well having used these and many other forums fairly extensively over the last year (mainly searching and reading old posts!) I though it was about time to put up a couple of photos.

I bought the house two years ago this month, having graduated from uni a few months before. I work in IT, with my only real experience being helping out my Dad from doing similar things, so I've no doubt things have me a lot longer than perhaps they should - it's certainly been a steep and often unknown learning curve. But, with the help of two sets of parents (mine and my partners before you ask!) it's slowly getting there...

This was the kitchen shortly after moving in, note the lack of hallway by the front door, thankfully still with holes in the floor and ceiling ready for it to be put back in :)

View media item 3978
View media item 3979
View media item 3980
View media item 3981
View media item 3982
View media item 3984
I gave up trying to get the tiles off the plasterboard and found it was a lot simpler to simply cut out the plasterboard and replace it with new stuff, especially when all of the edges would be covered by tiles.

View media item 3985
View media item 3986
View media item 3987
View media item 3988
View media item 3989
And finally a couple of pictures showing what it was like last Christmas, almost finished.

View media item 3990
View media item 3991

Sponsored Links
Also Why do you need a radiator under the stairs?

Sponsored Links
Hi Shortplank,

Looking very very nice indeed mate, for someone who hasn't had a lot of experience I think you've done a very good first time job.

It's just a shame that like yourself there are quite a few people on here that are not into DIY as a trade but like to feel like they have accomplished something by doing it themselves. They feel very proud about it and it makes them feel good to show it off to other people, so they post it here.

It's a little heart breaking when the first few replies contain no "well dones", "good work", "looking good" or any other words of encouragement but rather questions of "why have you done that".
Makes you feel like "why did I even bother starting the thread".

Once again, well done mate, you've done a very good job. Be proud of yourself ;)

Stu

Once again, well done mate, you've done a very good job. Be proud of yourself ;)

Stu

Thanks - I am! When I get a chance I'll put up some photos of the upstairs as well. I'm just finishing off the ensuite and then that'll be the last room done. Then its a case of going back round sorting out all the little jobs and finishing touches which need doing.

Why do you need a fan in the cupboard next to the front door?

I didn't - but I did want a cupboard there and I didn't really want to loose the fan which was installed with the house. I played around with the cupboard thats next to it so it has a false left-hand side inside, leaving the fan able to pull up air from underneath and above the cupboards. I was expecting it to strain a bit due to the restriction but it seems fine. It only gets used on the odd occasion where the extractor above the cooker can't cope. I'll post a picture of it later which should help explain what I've done.

Steve.

Good job mate, the only thing I can see that concerns me is there seems to be a cable running horizontally across the stud wall in one of the first pics. If this is a power cable it is against wiring regs.
Not trying to rain on parade, as we dont all know everything.

Tony

It's just a shame that like yourself there are quite a few people on here that are not into DIY as a trade but like to feel like they have accomplished something by doing it themselves. They feel very proud about it and it makes them feel good to show it off to other people, so they post it here.

Why is that a shame? :?:

Good job mate, the only thing I can see that concerns me is there seems to be a cable running horizontally across the stud wall in one of the first pics. If this is a power cable it is against wiring regs.
Not trying to rain on parade, as we dont all know everything.

Tony

That's the doorbell (battery powered). If its the only thing thats wrong then I'm happy :D

And the in-filled panels above it were as I knew I wanted to hang kitchen cabinets on the wall, so a couple of layers of ply seemed a sensible way to go as I had them spare. The other wall-hung cabinets go through to the brickwork as it's an outside wall.

Door bell is cool and grovey. Nice job then mate well done.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back