House speaker 5.1 wiring / HDMI Cable help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry if this is wrong section but it is Hifi/tv related

I want to fit some wiring in a room for 5.1 surround sound speakers, My system is 500watts RMS does anyone know what size cables i will need to perminantly wire these up on the walls. I do not know what size the cable is supplied so i can order more online and they are too short for what i need.

Also our virgin V+ box has a HDMI outlet on the back would it be ok to run a HDMI cable under the carpet and through a false wall into the next room for the other TV. ( I know i cannot view different channels etc just need other TV hooked up).

Cheers Leigh

Sponsored Links
the stated RMS value will be the total for all the speakers at full load, so wiring with standard speaker cables will not be a problem, the HDMI lead running into another room again causes no problems, but be carefull if hiding the cable, not to pich or penetrate it at a later date if you forget where it is hidden, Karl.

I have a 500watt + speaker system, it is run in bellwire. Most of the power is in the sub anyway, which has the amp built into it (still packs a punch though) :eek: logitech z5500

I have a 500watt + speaker system, it is run in bellwire. Most of the power is in the sub anyway, which has the amp built into it (still packs a punch though) :eek: logitech z5500

Thats the system i have Logitech Z5500

Leigh

I found this is it any good? or am i looking for something a bit better??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40-METRES-2-C...14&_trkparms=72:1300|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

OR

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-METERS-SUR...14&_trkparms=72:1300|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Or anything reasonable priced you guys can suggest?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The first product linked to (''budget speaker cable') is junk. You can buy that stuff from Screwfix if you really want to - 10 quid for 100 metres.

The second product linked to is better, that type will be adequate for the majority of systems.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html

Cable once, go best (ish) quality and even if you up grade your weak :D 500w system the cable mentioned on the link will cover all your needs.

For an average 4 x 5m room, going under floor and mounting at head height (when sitting down on the sofa) your need about 35m

Hi,

You will be lucky to get an HDMI lead longer than a few metres.
If you do manage to get one you can bet it won't be very cheap.

CPC

Best place for cheap HDMI cables. I've used 1x20M, 2x10M and 1x5M in my house - expect to pay just over £1 per metre.

I just looked on the speaker wires and found some small writing it says 18AWG (guage) I think this is 1mm wire ??

As for the HDMI Cable i can get 10 metre and 15 metre cables reasonably cheap i think it is the best option to run HDMI rather than try running any other cables (Ariel or scart) as the plug on the end of the cable is quite small and we can only run off the 1 V+box, So whatever channel we are watching in one room will get shown on 2 Tv's i think..

Leigh

Cheers for the help all

So far i have ordered some speaker wire which is from the 2nd link i posted earlier 30 metres should be enough for me.

Also ordered a 10m HDMI Cable i think i need 8 metres so 10 will be fine.

Question

The V+ box has 1 HDMI outlet but i want to run 2 TV's from it, 1 in the dining room and 1 in the Living room (yes watching same channel at once).

Will this splitter be ok for the job

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDMI-Splitter...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:3|65:15|39:1|240:1318

Also there is a switched version but i think that is for xbox or playstation etc?? and am i right in saying a switched version just switched one or the other TV/outlet?

Cheers

Leigh

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi

No, those are useless - never, ever work. All they do is connect all the wires together - apart from the electrical problems this cause, it breaks a fundamental part of HDMI which is that the source device has to be able to talk to the displays to negotiate what video/audio they support, and to maintain the encryption.

You need a proper HDMI distribution amplifier - they are not expensive - £30 ish for a 1:2 one.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back