Household tips and DIY waste

Sponsored Links
The building trade is reckoned to be the worst for recycling, and there are some trades that go to the local tip and dump everything; but there are a lot of non trades that don't bother recycling at all. There's no right and wrong in this situation, just personal conscience as to the right thing to do.

Yes, but discouragement by silly council rules and excessive fees is defeating the objective and possibly making the situation worse.

The building trade is reckoned to be the worst for recycling, and there are some trades that go to the local tip and dump everything; but there are a lot of non trades that don't bother recycling at all. There's no right and wrong in this situation, just personal conscience as to the right thing to do.

I hate waste. I hate the thought of landfill, that said I don't recycle anything because I don't have the means. When I say "I don't have the means" I do have huge bins outside my house and I do have bin Natzi's inspecting and labeling them. I also have a reduced waste collection service and increased council tax bill but unfortunately some things are strangely "Not" recyclable and those items happen to be the ones without a profit at the weigh in despite all the free labor provided by the electorate - That **** they say can go to land fill and all of a sudden the environment doesn't matter. You may even have some respect for them if it didn't vary on what is and isn't recyclable by area! Its all *******s!

Sponsored Links
Different locations, same shyte attitude on the part of the tip staff. There's always one standing by the waste section who you can ask where to put different materials, but they never bother telling the lazy sods that this or that CAN be recycled if only they'd bother to walk over to one of the other sections.

Part of the problem is that this all stems from an EU directive, even though the UK has more than enough land fill capacity not to need to do it so stringently. And to make matters even worse, we can buy recycled glass from Germany cheaper than we can do it, so just where is our recycled glass going I wonder.

Part of the problem is that this all stems from an EU directive.
Really?

I think you'll find most large (Western) waste producing nations have a waste management plan and is not solely based upon the availability of land fill sites. The EU implemented a directive (rather than a regulation) as to how member nations managed their waste, leaving member states with a certain amount of leeway as to how to implement their waste management.

Some reasonably priced locally made recycled glass kitchen worktops would be nice.

400 bottles apparently makes a decent sized top but the cost upwards of £350/mtr.

Quite often the guys at the recycling plant are more intent on grabbing the good bits that are being disposed off for their mate that come round with a van and loads up then its all in a 2nd hand shop.

Quite often the guys at the recycling plant are more intent on grabbing the good bits that are being disposed off for their mate that come round with a van and loads up then its all in a 2nd hand shop.
Good on them. ****ty job, be nice to have some sort of perks.

Ours has a garden gnome collection on the verge. Makes me smile :)

I don't think most councils actually recycle. I can't see how ours does, all our recycling is collected mixed up and I can't see anyone going through it and sorting it out. There's been many stories in the press over the years over councils sending to landfill overseas - saying it's nowt to do with them as they contract the waste out to other companies or something along those lines. It's all a load of rubbish, literally :)

I don't think most councils actually recycle. I can't see how ours does, all our recycling is collected mixed up and I can't see anyone going through it and sorting it out. There's been many stories in the press over the years over councils sending to landfill overseas - saying it's nowt to do with them as they contract the waste out to other companies or something along those lines. It's all a load of rubbish, literally :)
I've worked at one of the Biffa recycling plants - we do recycle and do so on an industrial scale. Lorries are queueing up to be loaded up with compressed bales of waste material. A lot of money is spent, so it is difficult to see where recycling is in any way profitable though.

Our council is rated as one of the better ones in the country and I still think there's enormous room for improvement so what the worst performing councils must be like hardly bears thinking about.
Like some on here I don't like waste. My father worked at a tip/incinerator and was constantly bring stuff home. I followed in his footsteps and even earned the nickname of "skippy" for my daily routine of taking stuff out of skips. A recent visit to our local tip , same place as my father worked but long since missing the incinerator , highlighted a couple of things. One of the workers there was opening plastic bags dropped there and inside were brand new shoes . Some had the price tags on and many were over £100 per pair. However , as he said the area is under CCTV and they could lose their jobs for taking things. A friend who works on the recycling lorry tells me the lorries also have CCTV and the same applies although there are ways round it. The other thing is that it's not really right to blame the whole thing on the councils. As I said the shoes were brand new and in the past my father brought home equally new stuff along with god know's how many vacuums, mowers and the like that needed nothing more than a fuse or a clean which rather goes to show we as a society throw away far too much stuff without giving a thought to how it could be reused , repurposed, or otherwise made use of.

The UK is at least 15 years behind the rest of Europe

That's because the UK is a dumping ground for all the dross that the eu sends us from north Africa, eastern Europe and the middle east.

Sponsored Links
Back