How are you planning to vote?

Who are you planning to vote for? (Listed in alphabetical order)

• Conservative

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Scottish Green Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UKIP

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • I won't be voting / I will spoil my ballot paper

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
is that more per head in income tax, VAT and inheritance tax?

Or was it (just) that in some years a lot of oil was landed through the Scottish coast at a time when the oil price used to be high?

Sponsored Links
Bit off saying 'The Scots' as if we all wanted independence. Remember that the referendum was a NO despite Salmond and his 'tartan shortbread' rhetoric brainwashing those who had little brain to begin with.

Sponsored Links
Norcon is correct in that his linked document states

Scots do pay £290 per year less in income tax on average, partly because incomes in Scotland are more equally distributed, with fewer of the very high-income individuals who provide such a large share of income tax revenue in the UK as a whole. But Scots contribute slightly more in VAT and in alcohol and tobacco taxes.

However, that IFS document was dated 2013.

I wonder if disgraced RBoS boss Fred Goodwin's vast payments show within Scotland or England income tax?

Bit off saying 'The Scots' as if we all wanted independence. Remember that the referendum was a NO despite Salmond and his 'tartan shortbread' rhetoric brainwashing those who had little brain to begin with.

I agree. I know a number of Scots (in exile in England, admittedly) who do not want independence. However, if all the recent rhetoric about the SNP gaining just about all the votes in Scotland is to be believed, I'm afraid that it appears that the rest of us may be better off without them.

I'm sure I'll be able to continue to buy my single malts and attend my Scottish country dancing meetings even after independence!

Those of us who are currently 'exiled' did not have a vote in the referendum. Only those living in Scotland at the time did so.

The vote was still a NO and one has to remember that Salmond reduced the voting age in an attempt to gain votes from gullible youngsters which goes a way to explain the YES percentage.

If The SNP win most Scottish seats it will be because most traditionally Labour Scots feel that Labour is fast beoming a Tory clone, They see traditional Labour values being eroded and replaced with new values which have more in common with The Conservatives than they do with the Scottish working class.

A vote for The SNP does not mean the voter wants independence. It means that Labour is not offering a viable alternative.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
The political history of Scotland would take far too long to explain here but info is widely available elsewhere.

Suffice to say that the bulk of Scottish Labour voters have traditionally been involved in (heavy) industry [shipbuidling, coal mining, steel etc) and the traditional Labour heartlands are where those industries once were. What few Tory seats existed were normally in farming heartland in the SE Lowlands and Perthshire.

Many of them voted that way because it had ever been so (the phrase 'would vote for a monkey with a red rosette' springs to mind) and they followed the traditions of their fathers and grandfathers.

The above was in answer to a post which has now been deleted

Thanks mod. :)

What is the history of why Scotland is predominantly Labour/SNP?

The two don't seem compatible. :confused:

I've not read all the posts on this topic, but I find it hard to understand why 62% are voting UKIP when they are all failed Tories funded by the same people that fund the Tories.

Also there policies don't make sense, but its always easier to attack the lower classes than the ones at the top creaming off all the wealth

I've not read all the posts on this topic, but I find it hard to understand why 62% are voting UKIP when they are all failed Tories funded by the same people that fund the Tories.

Also there policies don't make sense, but its always easier to attack the lower classes than the ones at the top creaming off all the wealth

I think it's notable that you haven't read their policies.

I'm sure that many people standing for UKIP are 'failed' Tories. In the past I have always voted for the Tories, but they seem to have lost their way. UKIP's policies make perfect sense to me, and I'm working class.

Why not take this test and see which party you really support?
https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

That's like something russel brand would be preaching.

Un-restricted immigration pushes down wages and who is attacked?
The lower classes surely.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back