how best to build retaining wall about 1 metre high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently had a porch built and now need to look at re landscaping the front of my house which is set over a metre above pavement level some 5-6 metres back.
Currently it is semi held with a low retaining wall and a real slope of garden. I want to retain at the top to ensure my porch doesn't go anywhere and then build different levels into the sloped garden.
Will using blocks be ok for the retainer and then use normal bricks to face it with? Tied in of course.
What would be the best blocks to use and how best laid?
Will build on a concrete footing etc at 1ft below ground level.
How best to incorporate drainage into both types of walling?
Hope you can assist, thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks nosall

Sure hope it wouldn't go anywhere :)
Its just that the ground just in front of the porch does drop away quite sharply thus need to extend the pathway on exit anyway hence the need to build the retaining wall.
Any assistance re the best way to construct the wall much appreciated. Thanks Lisa

Sponsored Links
As with any wall, the foundations will be dictated by the ground conditions.

So, the depth of the foundations will likely be affected by the sloping ground, i.e deep enough to be suitable. Similar with any walls.

A typical 1m high wall would need say a minimum of 150mm of concrete for the foundations. A retaining wall would prolly need something like 200mm thickness and be at least 150mm wider than the wall each side. The concrete would need to be laid on 'good' ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back