How best to shut off a 15mm pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a supply to a now unused header tank which I want to shut off. I can't go further back up the supply as it also feeds an upstairs bathroom from pipework sealed in the walls. All I can do it seems is to cap it off in reality.

I don't have welding equipment and without that, is there a safe enough way to cap it using a tap and perhaps a compression joint ?

Sponsored Links
if there is a valve/stop tap you can use a threaded cap on it, if not you can cut the pipe and put a compression cap on it.. or even a push fit cap will be fine, however if you don't have a pipe slice then i wouldn't recommend push fit.

if there is a valve/stop tap you can use a threaded cap on it,
As long as it is 15mm, which will have a 1/2" BSP thread. All other sizes are not universal, i.e. will be the manufacturer's own thread and you'd struggle to find a cap with a matching thread.

Needs capping of as far back so as to not create a dead leg.

I have pipe slices so can easily cut through the pipe.

There is no isolation valve so I thought of putting one of them in and then capping the other side, if that is a practical solution.

Sponsored Links
should be... probably wont be..

if you can access the tee branch, cut it out and put an elbow instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back