How can I add an external lock to my old aluminium patio sliding door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to add a external key lock to my aluminium patio door. Is it possible? The lock currently has an union barrel. Is it possible to get a double keyed barrel to fit this? If not is there another type of external or complete lock I could retro fit to give me external key entry. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
TBH your probably best off going into a locksmiths with the pics to see what they say.
Its an old door with an old lock so you want someone who knows the old stuff inside out.

Sponsored Links
The screw in barrel is union as you've said but the lock case itself might be an Adams rite, either way you'll need a new handle a mirror image of the internal, this may prove the stumbling block as this whole set up looks at least 30 years old.

This is a job I love to get my teeth into, you'd need a pair of handles and 2 new screw in cylinders, you probably need to drill fresh holes in the frame to suit new handles and so long as the handle is taller it would hide the witness marks from the old AND the handle screws wouldn't interfere with the lock case itself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back