How can I mount a fence on top of a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

We have had a new retaining wall for our drive which is 5 ft high as the neighbours drive is much lower than ours.

The wall is 2 bricks wide.

We want to put a 4 ft high fence on top of it and would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to fit it.

If we have concrete posts our side of the wall it will only leave us 4 inches either side of our car as our drive is only 84 inches wide between the retaining wll and our back door steps. So this really is not an option. We need to somehow mount the 4 ft fence on top of the wall.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Rich

Sponsored Links
:idea:
2910.jpg

These will only be as strong as the top course of bricks (assuming you have a soldier header and not pitched copings).

Personally i would feel better if some kind of bracket were fixed to the side of the wall rather than relying on the top course, but we are only talking a 4' fence.

Wouldn't fancy the chances of the 4ft fence staying on top of the wall in a gale force wind. I reckon it'll pull the wall down with it.

How high is the wall on your side? Maybe some steel tube or box section could be bolted into the wall and extended up the length of the post, coupled with the metpost socket.

You'll probably need 4-5 courses of fixing at least though, depending on bonding.

If not, ask the neighbour if you can attach it on their side.

Sponsored Links
What is purpose of fence? Privacy or safety?
If privacy, a close board fence 1.200 high with bolt down Met Post will pull the brick on edge out, first strong gust of wind that hits it. Suggest, if using bolt down Met Posts, 25x50mm hit and miss round top palings each side on 50x75mm once weathered rails, or 25x75mm hit and miss chevron boarding each side, ditto.
This method will let 75% of a gust of wind to pass through, and still give you about 90% privacy.
If safety only, go for hand rail and centre rail and trellis possibly, or consider, Kee Safety Ltd, Safety |Handrails. Goodgle it..

old un.

what type of fence do you want to put up closeboard or panel

how high is the wall on your side?

are the neighbours ameniable to any fixings going on their side of the wall?

met posts are doomed to failure and will not work

if this is a front garden or on a major highway along the side you need to be aware that 1 metre/4ft above prevaling ground level is the maximum without planning permision and rear is 2m/6ft7"

Wouldn't fancy the chances of the 4ft fence staying on top of the wall in a gale force wind. I reckon it'll pull the wall down with it.
Wow.. basically what i was about to add.. you risk the wall moving putting a fence on top..

Use the fittings recommend by nosall but go for overkill with the fixings. Use allthread at 600mm or so drilled through 7 or 8 courses and either resin or grout them in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back