How can I source filling loop "taps" for Glow-worm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The filling loop on my boiler doesn't have taps that can be operated by hand, so a flat blade screwdriver has to be used to fill the system. However this has become quite difficult due to the soft metal getting abuse over the years:

pny8O7w.jpg

I believe there are proper taps that fit over the "hexagonal" nut and screw on securely available from the manufacturer and or trade suppliers but I've been unable to find these available online anywhere. Can anyone help?

Model is Glow-worm 24cx

Sponsored Links
It may well be easier and certainly cheaper to add a conventional filling loop to the installation.

Tony

The guy who recently serviced the boiler said he could get them from his supplier for next to nothing, unfortunately he won't supply them to me unless I have some other work done (another story), but he didn't mention the option of replacing the loop entirely...

Now you tell us there is a professional involved ! By the sound of it a not very helpful one either!

I meant a new filling loop as a DIY job!

Perhaps others may know of something but I cannot think of anything which fits onto that valve.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yeah well I was trying to keep the thread simple :)

My DIY abilities regarding plumbing stretches to very basic pipework, changing rad valves, draining and refilling the system... how easy is the filling loop replacement?

Most would say one of the easiest jobs. You could even use compression fittings!

But if you do it then turn power to boiler off all the time the system is drained.

Tony

Thanks for that, i'll give these a go.

TBH I don't think the filling loop would be that easy - the boiler has been boxed in and I don't really fancy removing it all just for that.

Those are designed for the tubular shafts with two flats.

You described yours as hexagonal which made me less sure and the picture is not very clear either.

But be aware those knobs are made of very soft plastic and usually have a very short life!

Tony

I have one, unfortunately no chance of getting it to the nut and having room to turn it, the access is too restricted.

They often have to go on endwise, with another tool onthe handle to twist.
If that won't go on you won't get those proper plastic handles on.

A wider picture would give more ideas.

They are the correct knobs but if the valves have been mangled because
Of someone using grips it's likely they will just spin on the valve stems.
Iirc they are 2 mm Allen key not 4mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back