How can I support this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See below a pic of our kitchen with the pantry in the corner. The wall you see jutting out, supports part of the staircase above. Is it possible to either remove wall or cut back the wall to kitchen cab depth (~600mm) and somehow support the staircase above? Even with it just cut back 300mm, it could make a good location for a free standing fridge freezer.
23 Alexandra Road-14.JPG

Sponsored Links
Stair flights are normally fixed to trimmers in the floor opening, not supported off walls

Is it a straight flight top-to-bottom, or does it turn to the left at the top, perhaps forming a bulkhead below the kitchen ceiling which we can't see in the pic?

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tony, you are correct, the stairs turn left to a half landing. It's just visible in the picture. So I'd imagine that the return section needs support underneath.

Sponsored Links
It's possible that the newel post at the turn goes down to ground floor level, in which case it could be part of that 'spur'
wall, and most likely structural.

I was thinking the newel at the turn connects with the kitchen wall not the spur. But even if it's structural, could the spur be cut back and something done to support the section removed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back