How can I unblock microbore pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have microbore piped central heating, I have 2 rads which will not flow, the return pipes seem to be blocked, how can I unblock them?

I have flushed the system several times, cleaned various rads, and cleaned the valves on the offending radiators, there is flow to them but not from

I do not want to have to completely replace the pipes

Any suggestions??

Thanks

H

Sponsored Links
You sure it was with BG and not Mr. Therm ;) - that looks like something just post-war from the Home Guard :LOL: If you can de mount both ends of the microbore - then use some plastic pipe and fittings to get a sound connection to a mains water supply ( eg. JG Speedfit) that`ll shift it , and shoot it a few yards down the garden

First of all try and identify which pipes are the flow and return ,remove the rad and see what pipe the water comes out of and then locate that manifold the pipes are supplied from it will be blocked in or close to there .
Drain and cut then rod the pipe (solder is handy for this) or manifold connection also once rodded try blowing though it.

Sponsored Links
I recently had a job like this and ended up replacing 11 of the 14 pipes going to 7 radiators. The 3 I didn't have to replace I managed to clear by poking solder straight off the reel into the tube. Fitted a magnetic filter and chemical flush to stop it happening again and removed the downstairs rads to flush them as the crud inside was just blocking the pipes up again.

It can be very difficult to unblock micro pipes.

I would use air pressure from a compressor to try to force citric acid solution into the blocked pipe.

But needs considerable care with joints and some experience of the technique.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back