How close can 2 lintels go together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So another question, sorry.

The rear extension I am doing was originally going to have a full width knock through, but this is proving to be a bit of a pain in terms of cost etc

As it is, we already have two openings in the wall, two lintels. They start at either side of the wall, which is about 6000mm long. One over a window on the left is a 2700mm opening plus the wall it is resting on, the window on the right is a 1200mm wide opening.

That leaves a section of external wall 1500mm long in between the two, which supports the wall / house above.

If we can't go for a full width opening, the other idea is to reduce this section of wall in between as much as possible, so that it is as close to a full width opening as possible. We would leave the 2700mm opening as is, but look to replace the 1500mm opening lintel with as larger one as we could.

So, the question is, how much could we afford to lose, or is this a structural engineer job?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg

Personally I wouldn't leave a pier less than 2 bricks width, assuming a decent spreader, and that the brickwork is OK.
But personally, I wouldn't have a pier stuck in the middle of the kitchen - it drastically restricts your layout, and you will always regret it.
Why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar?

We did one a couple of years back whereby we converted half an integrated double garage into habitable which involved a load of propping and steel work. We opened up into the existing house dropped the two steel runs onto a brick pillar then sectioned of the remaining half of the garage with block walls etc. The pillar is easy to see in terms of size.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for both of the replies. I'm giving it some thought as we speak.

I agree, it seems a shame to have a pier in the middle of a room. I'm told it requires a goal post arrangement (both on here and by a structural engineer) which isn't the end of the world, but actually installing it is giving me some concerns!

Thanks for both of the replies. I'm giving it some thought as we speak.

I'm told it requires a goal post arrangement (both on here and by a structural engineer)

Not necessarily; it depends on the layout of the ground floor walls, size of extension and span of floors.
Goal post is often the easy way out for a SE.

Does anyone have experience with the online type structural calcs?

Beam-designs.co.u k or similar?

They will give you the size of beam required (assuming you give them the correct data) but they will not look at the issue of overall stability of the house; this will apply if you are taking out a considerable proportion of a rear wall. It's quite possible for Building Control to say 'yes, the beam's OK, but what about lateral stability?'.

Although there's a cost, you really need to speak with a SE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back