How close can a Light switch be to a Gas pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for any replies in advance.

I would like to fit an external light (PIR operated) just outside my front door. The problem is I would like to put the switch to control this light right next to the Gas pipe that feeds the house (about a meter above the Gas Meter itself). Is there a minimum distance a switch needs to be from a Gas pipe or can I just place the switch next to the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Nor me, but if it's a PIR lamp, it's usual to have the switch inside the house, is that what you meant? (then no undesirable character can fiddle with the lighting).

Cheers for the speedy responses.

Yes the switch is inside the house (so is the Gas pipe). The pipe is running up the wall inside the porch and the best place for the switch is next to the pipe.

The only reason I ask was that a Gas engineer once questioned if a wall socket was too close to the combi-boiler (Gas Pipe). He did say that it should be OK since the Gas pipe was being fed from outside the house.

Sponsored Links
25mm min distance away from anything electrical including cabels.
more of a minor gas regulation

just-thinking Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:54 pm Post Subject: gas pipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh sh*t. I have a mains cable sharing the same hole as my gas main through a floorboard in my electrics cupboard. Does this mean i should move it? What are the effects of having the 2 so close together?

just-thinking said:
That will make main bonding a tad tricky...

jonny_throstle said:
just-thinking Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:54 pm Post Subject: gas pipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh sh*t. I have a mains cable sharing the same hole as my gas main through a floorboard in my electrics cupboard. Does this mean i should move it? What are the effects of having the 2 so close together?

Put some lagging on the gas pipe - problem solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back