How cold can you go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builders are on site today laying the stone on the outside of my extension... It's -2 out there :eek: ... okay, they will wait until it warms up a tad but what about it freezing tonight?... what's the lowest new mortar should see??.. :)

Sponsored Links
I'd want to see any new mortar sheeted over before the frost comes back....you don't want any freezing taking place here!
John :)

what.. just a single bed sheet.. or something a bit more robust?.. I have lots of visquene but I guess it's not the best insulator?...
will have to raid the airing cupboard

It doesn't take much just to keep an air frost off.....I just cover things with a tarpaulin - no need to go for sheets and so on.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As above - a tarp. You cant keep the cold out but you can protect against frost.

well its got blankets / bed sheets / curtains etc all over it now so should be okay... that said it is bloody could out there... -2 I guess.... not much progress though!
2 brickies 8 hours each... what sq meters would you expect from them on re-con stone blocks?...
well they managed 3 mtrs sq and 2 sills... thinks they are taking the P !

may start new topic to see what people think...

-12 deg C if you include a calcium chloride/aluminium chloride antifreeze in the mix. The Finns. Russians. Scandis etc dont stop building just because it gets to freezing point.

well, was out there yesterday and managed to pull the top row of blocks off!!... the cement on the blocks showed signs to frost damage (had kind of bubbled up in the joints).... does this mean all the rest are questionable?...
The blocks didn't get covered the day before.. just the stones which do look okay??. :( ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back