How deep posts for 4' high fence panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be putting a 4' high fence around the perimeter of the garden into soil using bags of 'postfix' stuff. Bought the posts and wooden panels. Posts looks to be around 3"x3".

How deep should they be set in the ground ideally? Soil is more sandy than anything and quite soft.

Also, how far should the tops of the posts extend beyond the tops of the fence panels? And is it usual to sit the panels directly on the soil beneath, or run a concrete or gravel line in the ground for the panels to sit upon?

Thanks for any tips. If the rain in North Wales ever stops I'll start the job.

Sponsored Links
normally one third of the height of the panel, so for a four foot fence, the hole should be 16-18 inches.

how high the post is above the panel, is a matter of personal choice, some like them flush, others like them a couple of inches proud.

the panels should sit on a timber gravel board. the bottom of the panel will rot otherwise.

Thanks for the info. Gravel boards are new to me, as never put fencing in place before. Isn't the fence going to look ugly with 15cm of flat board between it and the ground? Anyway, I've found some from same place we got fencing panels. How do I fit them between the posts, especially if opting for concrete ones? And should they go into the ground a bit, with only a proportion sticking above ground level for the fencing panel to sit on?

with timber posts, you need timber boards, you cant fit concrete boards to them.. wont look ugly, look far neater. simply screw into teh fence post or use some cleats behind them.

Sponsored Links
wooden posts go rotten. once you have had the trouble of replacing them, and dealing with the great lump of concrete in the ground, you will vow to use concrete posts and concrete gravel boards in future.

As Thermo will agree, concrete posts are naturally beautiful, and can be made even more so at little expense with a touch of masonry paint.

wooden posts go rotten. once you have had the trouble of replacing them, and dealing with the great lump of concrete in the ground, you will vow to use concrete posts and concrete gravel boards in future.

As Thermo will agree, concrete posts are naturally beautiful, and can be made even more so at little expense with a touch of masonry paint.

You don't happen to have any photo's do you John...........:cool:

wooden posts can last years, many years. Ignore this man. He is let out at weekends from the blue circle home for the mentally disturbed. During the week he is forced to paint concrete gnomes to keep others from danger. AT weekeds he is known to have painted concrete fence posts, concrete bollards, driveways, pathways, car parks, in fact anything concrete. All in an effort to make it appear like wood.

Makes you wonder why he bothers! :LOL:

Thermo makes a handsome living out of erecting new fences where the old ones have gone rotten. He likes wooden posts.

Thermo makes a handsome living out of erecting new fences where the old ones have gone rotten. He likes wooden posts.
for the record ive never had to replace a timber fence post ive installed and certainly none have gone rotten. If they are correctly installed and are a decent product to begin with they will last for years. Now stop wittering on about concrete posts, its not what he asked about.

Heres some of the gnomes john paints during the week.

None of my concrete posts has ever gone rotten. They have lasted for many many many years

I have never painted or owned a gnome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back