How do I delete partitions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 120Gb hard drive that I want to use in an old PC. It has 3 partitions. I want to delete them all and put my Windows Vista on it. What's the best way to go about it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I've deleted the two partitions but now I still have Vista on one and an "unallocated" space of 75Gb. I want it all to be one, if you get my meaning.

Edit; I think I've managed it, thanks for the help.
But answer me this now please. It's a 120Gb disc and it's showing as 114Gb in my computer (I think that's the formatted size and I get that bit) but, how come it's only showing 75Gb free? It's only got Vista on it, nothing else yet.

Sponsored Links
But answer me this now please. It's a 120Gb disc and it's showing as 114Gb in my computer (I think that's the formatted size and I get that bit) but, how come it's only showing 75Gb free? It's only got Vista on it, nothing else yet.

Well, for starters you've got your units mixed up. Gb is gigabit, GB is gigabyte. Then there's Gib and GiB, which are gibibit and gibibyte.

Long story short: Everything Windows tells you is in kibi, mebi and gibi, not kilo, mega and giga. If your drive is actually 120GB, the size Windows should display is somewhere short of 112GiB (it will say GB, but it's actually in GiB). The available space after formatting is somewhere below that.

I'm not quite sure why you have so much space used, though. Vista is a ridiculously, immensely bloated OS, but not that bloated.

Ok, it's GB. Could it be that XP is still on there too? When I put Vista on, it didn't give me the option to format etc, like my XP disc does.

Ok, it's GB. Could it be that XP is still on there too? When I put Vista on, it didn't give me the option to format etc, like my XP disc does.

Yes, XP and all the old documents etc will still be on there. That easily explains it.

So, can I get rid of that, can it be deleted somehow?

If Vista was installed as an upgrade, I'm not sure how to safely disentangle some of it. I'd just format and start again. Upgrade to Win7 (or upgrade to XP...) while you're at it.

I can't format it because it won't give me that option from the disc. I've got it set to boot from the DVD drive but it doesn't autorun at the start. Vista is working ok for me, I just wanted to know if I can delete the "old Windows" folder whci seems to be taking up 25GB.
I suppose I could format it from my other hard drive (XP) but as the Vista disc won't autorun, I won't be able to get Vista back on.
Maybe it's a faulty dvd?

Edit; just checked, it is the old XP still on there. All the old documents etc are in there. I might just delete it and see what happens.

Once you have an OS installed you'll need to wait for the CD to say 'press any key to boot', and then do so..

Once you have an OS installed you'll need to wait for the CD to say 'press any key to boot', and then do so..

That's just it, I'm not getting that option from my Vista disc. I did it by using my XP disc, formatting, install XP then, Vista. A bit long wided but it's working perfect. It put XP into a folder called "Windows old" which you can access the files on but not use as an operating system.

Sponsored Links
Back