how do i disconnect my burglar alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help! our burglar alarm keeps going off in ten minute intervals and i just want it turned off as its more hassel than its worth. is it a case of disconnecting the battery and if so how do i do it?

Sponsored Links
theres a battery, a mains supply, and a battery in the bellbox.

the bellbox will still siren after you've disconnected the mains and battery in the panel. all 3 sources will need disconnecting.

Not just pulling out the battery and disconnecting I'm afraid.
The siren itself has a battery so that will continue until that battery has died.
If you have a ladder and earplugs you can go to your siren and disconnect the sounder.
Ideally you will find out why it is alarming which ironically may be a dead battery in your control panel.
If the alarm was fitted correctly (many aren't) then you should have a fused spur you can pull the fuse from to disconnect power from the control panel before you open it to disconnect or change the battery. Unfortunately you will then need an engineer to reset the system unless you know the code.

Sponsored Links
He knows about the cheap radio stuff.

If you disconnect the panel mains & battery, the battery in the sounder should only sound for 20 mins maximum.

If it keeps going then it should not be for too long.

Stand outside & make sure the neighbours know its you & you have a fault so they dont call the police.
Better still call the local station yourself to stop them coming round.

Why did you take them out when you don't know how to put them back?

Better still call the local station yourself to stop them coming round.
Havin a larf aint ya?

My local police station doesnt have a number. I call south yorkshire police HQ in Sheffield, 20 miles away, tell the operator what i want and she puts me through. 01142202020

Can anyone here honestly say they can phone their local police station? Many police stations are actually unmanned now. They are used as admin centres and control centres, but no actual bobbies are based there. :rolleyes:

To replace them with another system that does work and doesn't cost a fortune.
So the legal requirement for an alarm end station may not require a fused spur but every manufacturers installation guide recommends one so why would someone not put one in other than to save five minutes time and a fiver in parts?

So the legal requirement for an alarm end station may not require a fused spur but every manufacturers installation guide recommends one so why would someone not put one in other than to save five minutes time and a fiver in parts?
Several reasons!
every manufacturer? Odd that you can make such a qualified statement when you are on record as saying you haven't used any other kit!
So, what is the stipulation for, say, a Grade 3 system?
Whats more, they are not the norm in Europe.
And lets bring out the old chestnut of part P. You compliant with that on every job are you?

Several reasons!
every manufacturer? Odd that you can make such a qualified statement when you are on record as saying you haven't used any other kit!
So, what is the stipulation for, say, a Grade 3 system?
Whats more, they are not the norm in Europe.
And lets bring out the old chestnut of part P. You compliant with that on every job are you?

I have read many alarm installation manuals thats how I know what they say! You can download them anywhere.

So how are you with Prince2 project management?

Let me tell you.. you know nothing about it as you don't need to.

. . . and there is my stance on grade 3.

All I know is that if somewhere is high risk eg jewellers shop , commercial property , regularly targeted domestic in bad area etc etc then a grade 3 would be necessary particularly if insurance insisted. I don't even offer grade 2 as you know and the one thing I have NEVER NEVER done is misrepresent myself to the vunerable people who need my services in times of stress.
I am appalled by some of the antics of NSI SSIAB companies whose sales come first and customer service a distant second.

Compliant with part p , why yes I am fully compliant with part p.

ie I only deal with spurs from existing circuits and not in specified locations such as kitchens , bathrooms and outside. Competent person , why yes after wiring gazzilions of extra sockets over many years. Oh those funny coloured wires eh stick em anywhere eh? Socket tester oh dear how does this work , damm looks like I will need three years in college before I can operate this and make sure the earth bonding has the right reading and the live and neutral are not switched... NOT

Same old same old guff off you , incredibly boring your life must be.

You even tried to question me on a thread where I was warning people away from a set of sharks..... What seriously is your major malfunction?

Why instead of constantly looking to 'trip' me up or score 'points' don't you just accept I provide a useful service and STFU.

Moderators , I aplogise for breaching the same forum rules as youtalkindacrap but seriouly this troll needs putting down , Keyboard warrior class 1 with distinction.

Oh my lord

Well I joined the DIYnot forum
to give people my advice
To help the burgled unfortunates
to add peace back in their life
but when I started posting and giving words of help
I couldn't help but notice an annoying whinging yelp
Whenever I gave words of wisdom
or clarified their questions
a whiny voice kept harping on
rubbishing my suggestions
Despite the nature of the task being within my remit
There always followed that whiny whimp talking tons of ****
So now despite his previous posts often being deleted
He returns again to prove to all his feaces is not depleted
So youtakindapish or whatever your name really happens to be
I've kind of grown used to your crap as it means sod all to me
So please carry on with your pointless posts and continual inteference
I really am looking forward again to your next dreary appearance
cos then as now when you appear I'll point out to all to see
that its youtakindapish or whoever you are who has failed to take the pee

He knows about the cheap radio stuff.

Indeed I do so if anyone wants any advice I am here to help.

Sadly I know nothing about expensive overpriced kit thats poorly installed and missold. Is that your department?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back